Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Fantasy Grounds Unity GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
We're fortunate enough to have enough spare (old) electronics kicking around that one or two remote players could have their own laptop sitting at the table showing their video feed, and I'd really like to figure out how to hang a 360 camera in the middle of the table and send a feed, so they could look around and see the room properly. Probably something on Twitch or Youtube would do.
We do this for one remote player, with everyone else, sitting around my living room, without a table. The laptop is on a chair, with camera, mike and speakers above it at a sitting head height, so the remote player has a view as if they were on the chair. We don't use a hex grid for combat: it's usually far too spread out for that, since this is a WWII campaign.

The remote player reckons this is not as good as being present, but much better than not playing.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #12
OldSam

Just noticed that Fantasy Grounds Unity left beta and is officially available as a normal stable version :)

Can anybody of you already using FGU give any recent informations about playing GURPS with it? Are there any unofficial rulesets which are "ready to go"? Directly selectable / downloadable at some site? Works good...?

Thanks! :)

Last edited by OldSam; 11-09-2020 at 05:05 PM.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #13
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Just noticed that Fantasy Grounds Unity left beta and is officially available as a normal stable version :)

Can anybody of you already using FGU give any recent informations about playing GURPS with it? Are there any unofficial rulesets which are "ready to go"? Directly selectable / downloadable at some site? Works good...?

I've been playing Gurps with Fantasy Grounds Classic for some time now, and am about to make the full switch to Unity.

There is one ruleset which is ready to go, and that is Ronnke's.It is heavily supported. In addition there has been a lot of work in the last year or so, probably by the attention that Unity has brought, in being able to create gurps characters directly in FGU via drag and drop selections.

The Gurps ruleset is directly available on the FGU forums. Go to the Gurps Sub-forum.

There is also a utility that allows one to export/import directly from GCA.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #14
Gigermann

Quote:

The GURPS ruleset works with FGU. The skin is being updated to clear up some minor issues. I don't recall any other specific incompatibilities, but any that are discovered will be dealt with as they are encountered.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #15
Apollonian

So for anyone who's used both the old version and FG Unity, is it worth upgrading to the new version?
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #16
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
So for anyone who's used both the old version and FG Unity, is it worth upgrading to the new version?
As I mentioned earlier, I am in the transition stage. But from what I can see so far, the answer is definitely YES!

I make my own maps, and FGU can handle much larger maps than FGC. I can map out a larger outdoor area, and zoom in to where the players are, without losing resolution (because of image size restrictions).

FGU has the ability to make maps and such internally.

FGU has dynamic line of sight.

Unity is also a superior game engine. People are pumping out new extensions all the time.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:08 PM   #17
GodBeastX

FGC was terrible with maps IMHO.

FGU is so much better with them and has a much better line of sight engine than most software. I upgraded my FGC license and pretty much use FGU solely.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #18
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
FGU is so much better with them and has a much better line of sight engine than most software. I upgraded my FGC license and pretty much use FGU solely.
Sounds cool! :) ...anything you're missing in the new version, yet? Or are both FGC and FGU already on a par regarding gaming (not engine) features?
Old 11-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #19
seycyrus

Quote:
Sounds cool! :) ...anything you're missing in the new version, yet? Or are both FGC and FGU already on a par regarding gaming (not engine) features?
Assuming this question is for everyone (not just Godbeast)... I'm completing my transition from Gurps in FGC to FGU.

There doesn't seem to be anything missing in FGU. It seems to be just the opposite in that most of the FG Gurps support community has made the switch and is chugging away at stuff for FGU.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #20
OldSam

...well, you have a point, I also really wonder why SJG is not making some deal with the Fantasy Grounds guys, not being represented there officially is a disadvantage as it is probably the leading commercial online RPG platform.
Many others are on the list: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...lable+Rulesets

Fun fact, my own group is currently thinking about buying FGU, but we're still hesitating because of the lack of official GURPS support...

@SJG: Is something planned in that direction?

On the other hand, at least the community support for GURPS rules with FGU seems to be ok, so at least you should be able to use basic features.

Last edited by OldSam; 11-25-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Tags
remote play, virtual tabletop