Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #61
tbone

Default Re: Spell: Death Vision [Erratum?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
One thing about regular spells avoiding -5 by having line of sight to the target: some custom rules like "I can see the target's head" or "I can see the target's eyes" could be interesting for mind-affecting spells like this.
That's a really interesting idea. So maybe the lich can keep his foes on auto-stun using Death Vision-25, but he has to look the target in the eye. Forewarned PCs can charge him with eyes closed - an "easy" but scary solution.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #62
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
This is rather trivial to protect against:
  1. Magic Resistance
  2. Amulet (Death Vision)
  3. Invisibility
  4. stealth
  5. range
M58 caps the MR you can get against a spell to 5.
Noticing it says you can tattoo them... upside being it can't be stolen but downside being you can't lend it out.

Of course to make this enchantment you'd also need to know DV at at least 15 too. Definitely a "shadow war of the death visioners" sort of thing going on.

As for range penalties, could you add the Long Range +50% enhancement to reduce those and do long-range DV attacks?

In addition to invisibliity/stealth, there's also I guess simply using cover to inflict the -5 on the person targeting you.

Another might be misdirection: disguise your Zombie minion to look like you. Rather than an untargeted "hit the enemy necromancer at -5 regardless of where he is" your enemy will go "I see him, there he is! target him without a -5!" but then he only gives DV to your zombie instead of you.

Hm... I can't figure out a way a Zombie would be immune to Death Vision... which is incredibly ironic, since he gets a vision of his possible SECOND "death".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
That's a really interesting idea. So maybe the lich can keep his foes on auto-stun using Death Vision-25, but he has to look the target in the eye. Forewarned PCs can charge him with eyes closed - an "easy" but scary solution.
I'm figuring maybe certain magic spells could borrow the "Additional Contact" rules from Psionic Powers 6.

These might be intended to only apply to Psionic Skills and not generic uses of Psionic Power (or advantages in general) but the way spells work seems a lot like psionic skills so it doesn't seem too far off base.

Regular spells are -1 per yard, so that's -1 to target someone in an adjacent hex and -0 to target someone sharing your hex.

Giving a +1 to targeting someone you're TOUCHING is a cool incentive to have mages get their hands dirty for non-touch spells (no +1 for stuff which already requires touch) as does the cumulative +1 for skin-to-skin contact.

In the case of a Lich (who doesn't necessarily have "skin" per se) I think that basically just means no worn armor is in the way of either party's skinship.

Not entirely sure about DR via advamtages. I would think Tough Skin (-40%) would not interfere on either side, while Force Field (+20%) probably should... I'm just uncertain how non-skin non-FF natural DR (rigid or flexible) would work, think I'll make a new thread about that.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #63
Taneli

There's also Ward, Great Ward, Reflect, Spell Shield*, Spell Wall and Pentagram.

Note also that Magic Resistance (the spell) can grant you up to 10 levels of Magic Resistance (the advantage) that explicitly stacks with your normal Magic Resistance (the advantage), and I would probably rule that both of those stack with any Magic Resistance (the advantage) from the Amulet (Death Vision) enchantment as well, up to any campaign max magic resistance, if any. (20 levels of general, plus another 5 limited to one spell or college would probably be the max I'd allow in a typical 150 to 250 point DF-esque game.)

* I just noticed that there doesn't seem to be a version of the Spell Shield that affects one target, a regular spell. It would be a nice addition in a future GURPS Magic: Meta Spells -book.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:46 PM   #64
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
* I just noticed that there doesn't seem to be a version of the Spell Shield that affects one target, a regular spell. It would be a nice addition in a future GURPS Magic: Meta Spells -book.
Same with manastone/powerstone, though latter has effectively -40% for One College (20 becomes 12) so -80% to energy cost when something affecting all spells affects ONE spell feels right.

"One College Powerstone" is a distinct spell you learn per the TOC though, so "One Spell Powerstone" and variatiosn on other spells ("One College Spell Shield", "One Spell Spellshield") should then also be distinct spells you learn.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:29 AM   #65
Taneli

No, I meant one target, as in, a regular spell and not an area spell.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death vision, effigy