Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
Plane

Default Ally cost for Independent Body Parts plus Regrowth

P52 say you have No Reattachment...

but you DO have regrowth. Perhaps it even works quick because you have Regeneration too.

It would seem broken if you could just keep cutting off your hand to get unlimited hand allies, so you should probably need to pay for them. But how much?

P71's "Doubling" enhancement for Regrowth seems like a useful precedent since it seems to function like an unusual background to let you easily buy Extra Arm or Extra Leg, but only if you have points free.

Extrapolating, maybe you should need to pay the cost of Extra Arm or Extra Leg to be able to regain yours via Regrowth so long as your "Limb Ally" hasn't been destroyed?

Or perhaps instead of the Extra Limb/Leg cost you would instead try to figure out what their cost would be as an ally? that sounds tricky though. That is attractive for pricing an "Ally Group" of "the last hundred hands I severed to serve me" though as that'd get pretty expensive as 100xExtra Arm.

Another option might be that regrowth ALWAYS happens, but then you need to pay that cost or else your severed limb ceases to be your ally (as with a Dominance who can't pay an Ally cost for someone they turn) and operates according to its own ends?

The technicality of IBP functioning as Ally makes me wonder if it would be like a Minion +50% ally (no penalties if you sacrifice it) or a normal ally (penalties if you sacrifice it).

P52's "fights as your ally" statement doesn't mention if limbs have IQ (just DX and ST... and "usual HT roll" implies they inherit your HT) so I'm not entirely sure how you would RP them.

Like for example, how far you could send them off to fight... do they gain all your sensory input? Fight blind if you can't see their targets?

The idea of an insensate ally who inherits your own sensory input automatically (not sure if you can gain theirs ... do you feel what your severed hand grabs?) is something I'm not sure how you'd replicate when designing or pricing an ally.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote