Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2021, 02:28 AM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Large Area Injury issue and alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Yea, I've really never used the area damage rules as written for the reason above. Formerly I treated it as multiple hits to multiple hit locations, dividing the damage between the 5 major areas (legs, arms, head, and torso counting twice), further having DR (chinks) if it wasn't full coverage. It's bit cumbersome.
Burn medicine uses the rule of nines as an approximation: 9% for the head and for each arm, and 18% for the chest, the abdomen, and each leg (the residual 1% for the groin). Though that may not be current practice; it's been a while since I researched it.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:11 AM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Burn medicine uses the rule of nines as an approximation: 9% for the head and for each arm, and 18% for the chest, the abdomen, and each leg (the residual 1% for the groin). Though that may not be current practice; it's been a while since I researched it.
Rounding those up to 10% and 20% (and lumping groin in with abdomen/torso), respectively, would make things more feasible at the table. It does leave an extra 10% left over; I'd just accept large-area attacks are a bit more powerful under this scheme (it works out to +1 to damage for every 3d, on average) and leave it at that.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Based on https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513287/ it's still in use but better methods are making their way in.