Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Dwarven Architecture

I've haven't seen any fully drawn up Dwarven communities so I've started on this and I've got two models (so far) for what their tunnel complexes could look like on a village scale.
Castle of the Mole Rats: A single architect designs a community to split off the underground apartment complex from the working areas. They do this to keep a firm broad (short and sticky fingered) hand on the tunneling and therefore prevent ...
Anarcho-Feudalism: Each Dwarven family lives adjacent to their own workshop. Supporting cottage industries bud off and once the main lord that they dug to support becomes more of a (greedy as always) rent-seeking toll collector than a valuable market the leaf underground cottages dig new tunnels to seek new opportunities for trade. Hilariously lethal cave ins occur leading to picks used against fellow Dwarven flesh rather than stone.
Or some mix of the two models with noble architects applying limited regulation on tunneling.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:30 PM   #2
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Dwarven Architecture

What of the Dwarven concern for defense and raids by orcs or beasts? Is that organized or haphazard?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:01 AM   #3
hcobb

Default Re: Dwarven Architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
What of the Dwarven concern for defense and raids by orcs or beasts? Is that organized or haphazard?
So far my focus has been on secured doors to the above world to keep out those pesky elves. What in Cidri's name can get to them through solid rock?
Anarcho-Feudalism would keep adding exits to the outside until the defense collapsed.

Last edited by hcobb; 03-07-2022 at 08:20 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote