Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2006, 11:31 PM   #11
ArmoredSaint

Default Re: Furries in Banestorm

Replacing Humans with "furries" on Yrth would be depressing. It would be a sad place with no humans.

Honestly, aren't there already enough "furries" on Yrth? I mean, you could just be a were-creature of some sort...
Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 PM   #12
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
You know, I thought MIB.6361 was being funny and on subject, while you guys are being rude and bringing in politics which don't seem to have much to do with gaming, not to mention the borderline personal attack in that second sentence.

I readily admit I don't have much of a clue as to what the whole furry scene is about, outiside one memorable episode of CSI and possibly meeting some rather strange people at some LARPing cons.

However, a quick google based on your comments got me way too much info on bestiality, sex with plushies and inflatable toys, and mad rantings about how mainstream society doesn't understand yiffing, as well as touching upon amazingly rude forums like crushyiffdestroy.

So all in all, not something we really need to go into in a gaming board, but might be appropriate in chatter if you guys really want to try to enlighten us about your trials and tribulations.
What your quick Google turn out is part of the Complaint. As an equally as much part of Furrydom is appreciation of Furry art, who's major works include both Disney's Robin Hood [the animated one with Robin and Marian are Foxes] and Ducksburg, Watership Down/Bunnies and Burrows, Wind in the Willows and Redwall.

The Complaint is the same complaint you would get if you say all there is to Star Trek fandom, is Klingon erotica.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:17 AM   #13
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoredSaint
Replacing Humans with "furries" on Yrth would be depressing. It would be a sad place with no humans.

Honestly, aren't there already enough "furries" on Yrth? I mean, you could just be a were-creature of some sort...
Well, there are many stories where furries just act like humans with fur, so it's not like you wouldn't get humans of sorts..

...And werecreatures just aren't the same.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:18 AM   #14
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
What your quick Google turn out is part of the Complaint. As an equally as much part of Furrydom is appreciation of Furry art, who's major works include both Disney's Robin Hood [the animated one with Robin and Marian are Foxes] and Ducksburg, Watership Down/Bunnies and Burrows, Wind in the Willows and Redwall.

The Complaint is the same complaint you would get if you say all there is to Star Trek fandom, is Klingon erotica.
Ok, when I started this topic, I really didn't want to start a "Furries Good/Furries Bad" debate.. I apologize, and would like to ask if we could get back on topic..
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:13 AM   #15
Almafeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoredSaint
Who said that there would be no humans? In a 'furry Yrth', humans and demihumans would probably still exist.

Another option: Instead of having been originally been a demihuman-only world, Yrth was originally an anthro-animal world. They were not well developed at that time, still in species-based tribes. In the wars, one particularly vicious tribe with more magical power than magical experience tried to destroy the drive of their enemies by "driving the beasts out of them" with a gigantic magical ritual . . . which, when it backfired horribly, became the Banestorm. The banestorm deposited all the other non-anthro races, demihuman and monstrous, into Yrth.

From there, what happens? For ease, you could just say that the humans were numerous enough to take everything over from the original races -- such as in canon Yrth. If you want furs to be more numerous, instead say that humans and other races took over not by numbers, but by technology -- anthro claws and hide armor couldn't stand against human steel swords and armor. That would make furs the common "lower class," with most of the upper class being the "well-developed" invading races. Heck, if you make your furry races underdeveloped enough, you might even have *orc* nobles!

(I idly wonder if Ironclaw could run Yrth...)

Last edited by Almafeta; 03-28-2006 at 06:16 AM.
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:26 AM   #16
vitruvian

Quote:
Another option: Instead of having been originally been a demihuman-only world, Yrth was originally an anthro-animal world.
And yet another - furries, or anthropomorphic animals, could easily be the result of either the Banestorm or some more post-Banestorm magical tinkering, where normal animals start getting magically uplifted. If the condition is in some way contagious or otherwise spreading, humans could have a very negative overall reaction, as they really don't want to see their domestic animals become beings that can talk, walk upright, and protest their use as slave labor and food... but you can situations where they're tolerated, somewhat like the musicians of Bremen. Anybody with a Pyramid subscription should do a search for 'Aesop', which was a rather neat setting described in an article some time back.

One more - have the reason furries haven't been encountered much until recently be that they mostly lived in Sahud, and are actually hengeyokai - shapeshifting animals, able to assume both fully human and anthropomorphic forms. As the human population of Yrth grows and impinges more on the wilderness, more and more of the animal shapeshifters find that their survival depends on assuming human forms and deriving their food, shelter, etc. from within human society as opposed to its fringes, but not all of them can achieve the full shift - resulting in anthropomorphic foxes, tanuki (raccoon-badgers), cats, and so on walking around. Rent or buy the Miyazaki film Pom Poko for some neat ideas.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #17
Pesterfield

Perhaps a spell backfire created Aesop domains: http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/login...e.html?id=1465
Pesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:33 AM   #18
ArmoredSaint

It seems to me that this would be such a huge overhaul of Yrth that you may as well just start over and make a new setting altogether. I don't understand why everyone wants to change Yrth. One guy wants to insert furries, another wants to bring guns in, another wants to "update" it to the year 2500, and still another (on the Pyramid discussion boards) wants to add "Warhammer"-type chaos warriors. To me, it seems that any of these would alter the setting so drastically that it wouldn't be Yrth anymore. Why does everyone want to change Yrth? Isn't it good enough as it is?

Last edited by ArmoredSaint; 03-28-2006 at 10:36 AM.
ArmoredSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #19
Anthony

The reason people modify existing settings, rather than creating new ones from scratch, is because using an existing setting and modifying it is generally less work than creating a new setting.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #20
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

To answer the answer to my answer, I meant my suggestion as a semi-serious suggestion (both of them actually), and meant no offense to any of the various types of furries. (No Furries were harmed in the writing of this post).
Another idea I had on this subject, based on some native american tribes beliefs, maybe the wearing of an animals skin (fake or not) gives the wearer certain mystical abilities. Not necessarily were-type abilities or those of the animal, but others. Maybe those in animal-wear (not were) can teleport, or have inherent mage sight, heal faster, run farther, jump higher, and/or eat more.

In reference to changing Yrth, I see no issue with that. Back in the day before I had my own game world, I was adding to and modifying existing ones. I do agree that it changes it enough that it isn't the same world anymore, but it makes it easy to present to new players "It's Yrth, with Mechs and dinosaurs thrown in."

Yrth is also established as a dumping ground for interdimensional accidents. Drop a starship full of space marines on it, open up a tear and let cyberpunk elves and dwarves storm through, an excavation reveals a passage to the Old West, Mad Max, Caveman, The Devils Advocate!!! <panting>

Ok, sorry, I got a little carried away there! but you get my point I hope.

Tags
banestorm