Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-08-2018, 01:25 AM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: Jobs and critical success/failure

Yes we also ridiculed the TSR dice no end.

I read that people later researched those and sawed them open and found random air bubbles that give each one unique odds of rolling any given side. Apparently they were repurposed from their intended use as geometry teaching aids or something.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #22
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Yes we also ridiculed the TSR dice no end.

I read that people later researched those and sawed them open and found random air bubbles that give each one unique odds of rolling any given side. Apparently they were repurposed from their intended use as geometry teaching aids or something.
That last actually makes more sense than the idea that someone just decided to start making dice in his basement or something -- which is what we all kind of assumed from the "quality" of the product.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:55 AM   #23
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
We never trusted any dice with notably rounded corners, and it sounds like we were more right than we knew!
Sharp edged tumble better on fabric, especially felt. On hard surfaces, they don't tumble as much.

Round edged, provided you apply a minimum bounce rule of some form, are not significantly worse. Some BRANDS are.

My preference is 6x6x2... all dice at once, released from at least 6" of the table, moving at least 6" after hitting.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:38 AM   #24
David Bofinger

I remember when DragonQuest first came out it was supposed to have a D10 or two in it, but due to some sort of crunch in the dice market they didn't get any. So instead they provided cardboard chits 0 through 9 and you were supposed to pull them out of a coffee cup.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #25
larsdangly

I played Melee and Wizard in school (often in class...) when I was a kid, using pencils with numbers inked onto their 6 sides.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #26
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I remember when DragonQuest first came out it was supposed to have a D10 or two in it, but due to some sort of crunch in the dice market they didn't get any. So instead they provided cardboard chits 0 through 9 and you were supposed to pull them out of a coffee cup.
SPI did that with a lot of games, going back the venerable Strategy I (published in 1971, if memory serves). As a procedure, it worked just fine.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #27
Shadekeep

On the subject of potentially durable dice, this Kickstarter sounds intriguing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...al-poly-dice-s

Ain't cheap, though. And just because they're heavier and more durable doesn't mean they don't have bias, though one hopes the QC is good on that point.

EDIT: Just noticed the Add-ons Only tier. If I'm reading that right, one could just get a bunch of D6s at £5 a pop. Still not cheap, but cheaper than getting all those non-TFT polyhedra. ^_^

Last edited by Shadekeep; 10-09-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #28
TippetsTX

How in the world did this turn into a dice thread?
;)
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #29
The Wyzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
On the subject of potentially durable dice, this Kickstarter sounds intriguing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...al-poly-dice-s

Ain't cheap, though. And just because they're heavier and more durable doesn't mean they don't have bias, though one hopes the QC is good on that point.

EDIT: Just noticed the Add-ons Only tier. If I'm reading that right, one could just get a bunch of D6s at £5 a pop. Still not cheap, but cheaper than getting all those non-TFT polyhedra. ^_^
Man, I would really hate playing with those. I think they might well ding up a table, and they'd make a ton of noise.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #30
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
Man, I would really hate playing with those. I think they might well ding up a table, and they'd make a ton of noise.
Yes they're called Table Breakers for a reason. You could save them for especially dramatic rolls.

The rounded corners on the 6-sided dice are a turn-off for me. The metal 4-siders don't have rounded tips - I can already see the triangular puncture wounds on someone's foot...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote