Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-14-2017, 01:45 AM   #1
Hellboy
On Notice

Default Incomplete Judo Throws - reduced options

B203 mentions:

he lands in any two hexes near you. One of these hexes must be his starting
hex, your hex, or any hex adjacent to one of those hexes
What would a less versatile Judo throw look like, without the "any hex adjacent" part at the end? What if you were limited to only your hex or your opponent's hex as a must for one of them?

Or even more limited, what if it could be only 1 hex instead of 2 options?

I thought maybe that'd be an interesting option if you only managed to tie your skill instead of rolling under it. Another option could be a modification to the judo throw technique. Would that sort of thing be worth a +1 to skill in the technique to offset penalties acquired from some other benefits?
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
PK
Assistant GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Incomplete Judo Throws - reduced options

Why would such a throw exist, and what does it actually represent?

Note that I'm not asking game-mechanically. I'm asking for the justification behind this uniquely restricted throw being a thing in the campaign setting.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Hellboy
On Notice

It just represents not being able to throw someone as far.

Technical grappling had mass based penalties. Maybe they could be offset if you are not throwing someone as far? Takes less force to drop someone partly into his own or your own hex than partly into an adjacent one since that requires shifting their mass more laterally.

Maybe something like a -1 to skill if opponent doesn't land partly in his own or your own hex?
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Purple Haze

As an old judoka, one does get one's choice of the forty (or sixty-seven, depends on the school) throws, at any given time there will only be two or three viable choices. Each of those choices, if successful, will land your opponent in very specific hexes. In reality you do not get a choice of one of ten hexes for one half of the opponent, then one of six more for the other. You get at best a choice of three hexes with one orientation each.

GURPS is however at little conservative on how far away those hexes will be. My specialty was tomoe nage. If I were to begin the throw standing in hex 1 facing an opponent in hex 0, we would end with my butt in hex 2, our heads in hex 3, the opponents butt in hex 4, and feet in hex 5.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:26 AM   #5
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Would that sort of thing be worth a +1 to skill in the technique to offset penalties acquired from some other benefits?
For me, sure it would, with some caveats:
  • if it really was limiting: if the campaign offers one or two techniques like that, that is a limitation. If there were enough techniques like that that the player could really choose any one hex and call it a "specific technique", that's no limitation at all;
    or
  • if it was a martial arts campaign and calling out specific techniques (real-world or game-world) was part of the fun, I'd take it for any valid hex, just to encourage good descriptions of the fight.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
As an old judoka, one does get one's choice of the forty (or sixty-seven, depends on the school) throws, at any given time there will only be two or three viable choices. Each of those choices, if successful, will land your opponent in very specific hexes. In reality you do not get a choice of one of ten hexes for one half of the opponent, then one of six more for the other. You get at best a choice of three hexes with one orientation each.

GURPS is however at little conservative on how far away those hexes will be. My specialty was tomoe nage. If I were to begin the throw standing in hex 1 facing an opponent in hex 0, we would end with my butt in hex 2, our heads in hex 3, the opponents butt in hex 4, and feet in hex 5.

I think I'd allow more choice of hexes with a committed or AoA offensive throws (or I guess AoD defensive ones). Also if the thrower had taken a step prior to unleashing an offensive throw or the target had taken as step prior to being hit with defensive throw.

Basically leveraging a little extra momenteum for the throw from the step

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-16-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote