Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
Whatnow213

Default Game mixing question

I just got my first Munchkin game. Its from the Kickstarter Special delivery. I got the Munchkin impossible game with call of Cthulhu 2 and path finder 2 expansions, along with various cards, dice, book markers and sleeves.

My question is, can any of these be used with the impossible game?

Thanks
Whatnow213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: Game mixing question

All Munchkin expansions and booster packs can be used with all core and deluxe games. Those three sets will actually work pretty well together. The biggest thing you'll need to know is that Classes (Cthulhu 2 and Pathfinder 2) are different from Races (Pathfinder 2), and both are different from Loyalties (Impossible). A player can have one of each type in play at once. Also, Traps are the same as Curses, so cards that protect against one will work against the other.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
Whatnow213

Thank you for the reply, looks like I'll be doing a little experimenting.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnow213 View Post
Thank you for the reply, looks like I'll be doing a little experimenting.
If you give me a bit, I'm grabbing my copies of the sets to make some more solid suggestions. The selection of the three isn't as random as it might appear at first glance...
Old 08-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
Whatnow213

Now that's really going above and beyond. Seriously appreciated!
Old 08-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
ColBosch

After consulting my collection...

Munchkin Cthulhu 2 is perfectly usable right out of the box. The only different mechanics between it and Munchkin Impossible are "Madnesses." Luckily, it includes the rules for Madness cards. Curses are just another name for Traps. Cards and rules that affect one CAN be used to affect the other.

Specific cards of note: Green Reaper is a Vehicle under Impossible rules. Spud Gun is (obviously) a gun.

Munchkin Pathfinder 2 is also perfectly usable. Factions are another kind of "character type" card like Loyalties and Classes. A card that affects Loyalties or Classes will not affect a Faction, and vice-versa. The other major mechanic is that of "monster types." You'll see this on many of the monster cards, between its level and the card title. Luckily, you already have the rules for these in Munchkin Impossible: they work just like the "...in Black" mechanic, but are specific for each type of monster. So you can play Goblins to add to combats involving other Goblins, but not Undead (unless they're Undead Goblins) or Monsters in Black. Again, Curses are just traps by another name.

Specific cards of note: This set includes lots of Guns! Have fun! Also, the Dagger of Doubling should be treated as a Knife.

Beyond those notes, if a card refers to something you don't have, just ignore that specific effect. For example, the Squidskin Boots from Cthulhu 2 mention Cowboys. Cowboys are a Class from The Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin...but you don't have any, so just ignore it.

As you can see, once you strip away the spy movie/eldritch horror/fantasy elements, the core mechanics of Munchkin are very consistent. This is one of the game's great strengths, and makes mixing sets a whole lot of fun. I hope this helps, and enjoy!
Old 08-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
ColBosch

Oops, forgot one quick note: Cowthulhu has a special rule on the card that basically says if you die, you come back as a Cultist. So, if you suffer Cowthulhu's Bad Stuff, search through the Door discards. If you find a Cultist card, play it, replacing any other Class you might have. If there are no Cultist cards in the discards, you're lucky and can ignore that effect.

Normal Munchkin Cthulhu has special rules for Cultists, but with only two in your collection, you can ignore them.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
Whatnow213

Well now you have me excited to play . First game of Munchkin is tonight with my group. None of us have ever played before. We were going to play tiny epic quest but I've just got to try this!

Thanks for explaining how to mix them. I'll wait till the 2nd game then mix in Call of Cthulhu expansion.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
ColBosch

Awesome! I hope this has ameliorated your initial disappointment. Have fun!