Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #21
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Discworld Characters from the Novels

I think the Daredevil/Higher Purpose rule disagreement has been more than adequately covered. Let's move on.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #22
Dalillama

I'm suddenly envisioning Teppic as head of palace security and Ahmed as Chief of Police somewhere on the other side of Klatchistan. (Other side from where the on screen action takes place.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #23
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
I'm suddenly envisioning Teppic as head of palace security and Ahmed as Chief of Police somewhere on the other side of Klatchistan. (Other side from where the on screen action takes place.
Or where the PCs find themselves ... running a bar with a lot of sleazy customers, or trying to set up a newspaper, or operating a troll-treadmill-powered cargo boat on the river that happens to run across the disputed frontier, or mixing with a bunch of Ephebean-inspired political radicals. Or all of the above.

I mean, you can run that campaign with any worryingly competent head of security and chief of police for the PCs to try not to annoy. But if the players have read the novels, those two names might dissuade them from trying anything silly.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #24
Phil Masters

Another small addition:

Count Giamo Casanunda
252 points
See p. 344-5 for details of the Count's life. Which are probably lies.

ST 13* [20]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 13* [20].
Damage 1d/2d 1; BL 51 lb; HP 15* [0]; Will 14 [10]; Per 13 [5]; FP 13 [0].
Basic Speed 6.50 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 9; Parry 11 (Smallsword).
4’; 130 lbs. (SM -1).

Social Background
TL: 4 [0].
CF: Dwarfish (Native) [0]; Sto Plains/Uberwald [1].
Languages: Dwarfish (Native) [0]; Morporkian (Native) [6]; Quirmian (Accented) [4]; Uberwaldian (Accented) [4].

Advantages
Dwarf Template, without Greed/Dwarfish Greed or any Psychological Quirks [45]; Charisma 1 [5]; Status 2 (Doubtful Title!) [10].

Disadvantages
Lecherousness (9) [-22]; Overconfidence (12) [-5]; Reputation -2 (To Be Dealt With, Among jealous husbands everywhere; 7 or less) [-1].
Quirks: Frequent but frivolous liar; Great affection for Nanny Ogg; Mildly nervous of heights and enclosed spaces; Optimistic. [-4]

Skills
Area Knowledge (Genua) (E) IQ [1]-12; Area Knowledge (Ramtops) (E) IQ [1]-2; Axe/Mace (A) DX [0]-13*; Brawling (E) DX+2 [4]-15; Carousing (E) HT [1]-13; Carpentry (E) IQ [1]-12; Climbing (A) DX+1 [4]-14; Connoisseur (Food) (A) IQ [2]-12; Crossbow (E) DX [1]-13; Fast-Talk (A) IQ [2]-12; Gambling (A) IQ+1 [4]-13; Games (Cripple Mr. Onion) (E) IQ+2 [4]-14; Lockpicking/TL4 IQ-1 [1]-11; Musical Instrument (Mandolin) (H) IQ [4]-12; Riding (Equines) (A) DX [2]-13; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ [1]-12; Sex Appeal (Human) (A) HT+2 [8]-15; Smallsword (A) DX+4 [16]-17; Soldier/TL4 (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Stealth (A) DX [2]-13; Survival (Mountain) (A) Per [2]-13; Survival (Swampland) (A) Per 1 [1]-12; Survival (Woodlands) (A) Per [2]-13.

* Includes racial template modifiers.

Notes

Casanunda has bought off most of his dwarfish disadvantages and quirks, although he retains a certain deep attention to detail, and some alertness about the difference between real and fake gold.

Casanunda can operate at Status 2 when he gets the chance, but his personal finances are as variable as any soldier of fortune’s, and he has to keep on the move ahead of jealous husbands, so he will often be living as a Status 0 mercenary when encountered. Other, more conventional dwarfs would doubtless find him distinctly and unpleasantly strange, given that he is very far from taciturn in matters of gender, but Casanunda doesn’t care and doesn’t associate with other dwarfs much.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:49 AM   #25
Phil Masters

Keeping this in a family:

Conina the Hairdresser
410 points
Conina is the daughter of Cohen the Barbarian (above) and a temple dancer. She inherited her mother’s stunning looks (she has blonde hair so pale it’s almost white, tanned skin, and a petite, athletic, but perfect figure); from her father, she inherited the reflexes and killer instinct of a mongoose on amphetamines, sinews like steel cables, and a tendency to kleptomania constrained by a preference for really impressive but subtle heists. All this is topped off by a voice to match her appearance. Actually, she really wants to be a hairdresser, but her instincts keep getting in the way.

She played a crucial role in the events detailed in Sourcery, during which she met and became attached to Nijel the Destroyer, a scrawny and asthmatic youth who really, really wanted to be a barbarian hero. Assuming that they are still together and have helped moderate (or at least compensate for) each others’ less fortunate instincts, they probably make a pretty good team, in their way. (Nijel might qualify as a Dependent for Conina – or as the subject of a Sense of Duty, if he’s attained a higher level of competence these days.) Conina would certainly be a useful temporary ally to many adventurers, so long as they didn’t set off her reflexive urge to start throwing knives at them.

ST 12 [20]; DX 18 [160]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 13 [30].
Damage 1d-1/1d+2; BL 29 lb; HP 12 [0]; Will 12 [0]; Per 12 [0]; FP 13 [0].
Basic Speed 8.00 [5]; Basic Move 7 [-5]; Dodge 12; Parry 13 (Shortsword).
5’8”; 140 lbs.

Social Background
CF: Klatchian [1]; Sto Plains/Uberwald (Native) [0].
Languages: Klatchian (Broken) [2]; Morporkian (Native) [0].

Advantages
Ambidexterity [5]; Appearance (Very Beautiful) [16]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Danger Sense [15]; Extra Attack 1 [25]; Fearlessness 5 [10]; Luck [15]; Resistant to Disease (+3) [3]; Serendipity 1 [15]; Voice [10].
Perks: Blade-Proof Bare-Chestedness; Improvised Weapons (Knife). [2]

Disadvantages
Berserk (9) [-15]; Compulsive Behaviour (Barbarian Heroism) (9) [-15]; Curious (15) [-2].
Quirks: Especially prone to attempting “impossible” thefts; General loyal to comrades-in-arms; Really wants to be a hairdresser. [-3]

Skills
Acrobatics (H) DX-2 [1]-16; Climbing (A) DX [2]-18; Fast-Draw (Knife) (E) DX+1 [1]-19*; Fast-Draw (Sword) (E) DX+1 [1]-19*; Filch (A) DX [2]-18; Forced Entry (E) DX [1]-18; Intimidation (A) Will [2]-12; Judo (H) DX-2 [1]-16; Karate (H) DX+2 [12]-20; Knife (E) DX [1]-18; Lockpicking/TL4 (A) IQ+1 [4]-13; Pickpocket (H) DX [4]-18; Professional Skill (Hairdresser) (A) IQ+2 [8]-14; Riding (Equines) (A) DX-1 [1]-17; Shadowing (A) IQ+1 [4]-13; Shortsword (A) DX [2]-18; Sleight of Hand (H) DX-2 [1]-16; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-19; Streetwise (A) IQ [2]-12; Throwing (A) DX 1 [1]-17; Thrown Weapon (Knife) (E) DX+2 [4]-20; Traps/TL4 (A) IQ [2]-12.

* Includes +1 from Combat Reflexes.

Notes

In her adventuring career, Conina may also have picked up a few more languages, some wilderness/Survival skills, and anything else that seems appropriate.

For Conina, barbarian heroism is a Compulsive Behaviour but not an Odious Personal Habit. She’s really quite pleasant company, up to the point where she starts dismantling anyone who looks at her funny. Having the indestructibility of a classical hero, she goes through life taking an interest in new sights and experiences, simply because she doesn’t have to worry about surviving them. However, she isn’t an idiot; she won’t fight against suicidal odds – just work out how to balance them, and then reach for a sharpened comb.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:06 AM   #26
Phil Masters

An alternative type of heroine:

Polly Perks
156 points
See pp. 346-7 for biographical notes.

ST 9 [-10]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 11 [10].
Damage 1d-2/1d-1; BL 16 lbs.; HP 9 [0]; Will 14 [5]; Per 14 [5]; FP 11 [0].
Basic Speed 5.50 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 8; Parry 9 (Brawling); Parry 8 (Shortsword).
5’6”; 115 lbs.

Social Background
CF: Sto Plains/Uberwald [0].
Languages: Borogravian (Native) [0]; Morporkian (Accented) [4].

Advantages
Charisma 1 [5]; Contact (Major Blouse: Engineer (Clacks)/TL4 15; Available 15 or less; Usually Reliable) [12]; Contact (William de Worde: Propaganda/TL4 15; Available 12 or less; Somewhat Reliable) [4]; Luck [15]; Military Rank 2 (Honorary Sergeant) [10]; Reputation +2 (Heroine of Her Nation, among Borogravians) [5].

Disadvantages
Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Sense of Duty (Old Army Comrades) [-5].
Quirks: Fiercely independent; Very loyal to her family. [-2]

Skills
Acting (A) IQ-1 [1]-12; Bartender (A) IQ+1 [4]-14; Brawling (E) DX+1 [2]-12; Crossbow (E) DX+2 [4]-13; Current Affairs/TL4 (Borogravia) (E) IQ+1 [2]-14; Diplomacy (H) IQ-2 [1]-11; Hidden Lore (Peculiar Secrets of the Borogravian Ruling Classes) (A) IQ+1 [4]-14; Hiking (A) HT-1 [1]-10; Housekeeping (E) IQ+1 [2]-14; Leadership (A) IQ [1]-13*; Naturalist (Discworld) (H) IQ-2 [1]-11; Riding (Equines) (A) DX-1 [1]-10; Sewing/TL4 (E) DX [1]-11; Shortsword (A) DX [2]-11; Soldier/TL4 (A) IQ-1 [1]-12.

* Includes +1 from Charisma.

Notes
This is Polly after the end of Monstrous Regiment. She acquired many of these skills and advantages in the course of that adventure, during which time she had a serious Secret.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #27
Kelly Pedersen

Polly probably needs at least a point in Disguise, given that she was one of the more successful of her unit in pretending to be male. If Discworld used optional specialities or techniques, I'd suggest giving her some points in "disguising herself as male" in one or the other of those, but since it doesn't, decent Disguise is probably necessary. Or, at the very least, a perk (pun not intended!). "One Task Wonder - Male disguise", perhaps?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #28
Phil Masters

I was a major conceit of that story that all women (actually, all sapient females) are, apparently, instinctively competent at passing for male - if only because nobody ever looks closely enough to spot the deception. So, yes, I can see the case for giving her Disguise or whatever, but apparently it should go on the "Female" template...
Old 01-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #29
Kelly Pedersen

I think I'd interpret that more as there being significant bonuses in-setting when someone is disguising themselves as something the viewer expects to see - if the common cultural assumption is that "person in trousers, not wearing a dimity scarf, no obvious female characteristics = male", then the women are probably getting +4 or +5 to their rolls. And probably very few people are making opposed rolls because they're not looking for disguised women either, so a basic success on Disguise is enough. I think most of the women in Polly's regiment were probably relying on those bonuses and rolling at default. But according to the book, Polly actually practised moving and appearing as a male, so I think that justifies at least a point in Disguise.

If the writeup is for Polly at the very end of the book, I'd also suggest at least a point in Observation - she immediately picks up on the fact that the two recruits arriving at the ferry are both women as well. And she seems, throughout the story, to be picking up on when things are out of place or unusual quickly.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:45 AM   #30
Phil Masters

Twoflower
105 points
See p. 348-9 for biographical details.

ST 9 [-10]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 10 [0].
Damage 1d-2/1d-1; BL 16 lb; HP 9 [0]; Will 11 [0]; Per 11 [0]; FP 10 [0].
Basic Speed 5.00 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 8; Parry 8 (DX).
5’7”; 155 lbs.

Social Background
CF: Agatean (Native) [0].
Languages: Agatean (Native) [0]; Morporkian (Accented) [4]; Trob (Accented) [4].

Advantages
Administrative Rank 7 [35]; Fearlessness 2 [4]; Reputation +3 (Author of What I Did on my Holidays, among Agatean radicals; 10 or less) [3]; Serendipity 2 [30]; Status 3* [5]; Wealth (Comfortable) [10].
Perks: Honest Face. [1]

Disadvantages
Bad Sight (Nearsighted; Mitigator: Glasses) [-10]; Curious (15) [-2]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Reputation -4 (Author of What I Did on my Holidays, among Agatean ultra-traditionalists; 10 or less) [-3]; Sense of Duty (Family and Companions) [-5].
Quirks: Broad-Minded; Delusion (Rincewind is a great wizard at some level); Imaginative; Needs (and wears) false teeth. [-4]

Skills
Accounting (H) IQ-2 [1]-9; Administration (A) IQ+2 [8]-13; Area Knowledge (The Disc) (E) IQ [1]-11; Filing Clerk (A) IQ+3 [12]-14; Photography/TL4 (A) IQ [2]-11; Riding (Equines) (A) DX-1 [1]-9; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+2 [4]-13; Writing (A) IQ+1 [4]-12.

* Includes +2 from Administrative Rank.

Notes
This represents Twoflower just after his sudden promotion. As most of his Status comes from his Administrative Rank, it is supported by his government pay. He might also rate Cohen as a Patron at this point, although Cohen wouldn’t want to be bothered too much, and Twoflower’s Rank would get him most of the cooperation and resources he might need.

In earlier times, Twoflower was Status 0, with Average Wealth in the Empire, although when he was travelling abroad, all that gold effectively made him Filthy Rich with high Status. He suffered from some degree of Gullibility to begin with, and his uncontrollable optimism may have represented a Delusion (that bad things only happen to bad people, or that having an iconograph in hand makes someone immune to violence), or an Odious Personal Habit – it certainly did from Rincewind’s point of view. Painful events in the Empire left him a lot more realistic, and for a while he had a Vow to avenge his wife’s death.

Tags
discworld, discworld characters, discworld rpg, lady sybil, lady sybil ramkin, lady sybil vimes