Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Disliker of the mary sue

Default Trident Dagger

I recently saw a Vsause episode give a brief description of an obcure weapon called a trident dagger where the sides would spring open and trap blades in it. Honestly it sounds intresting and would like gurps rules on it since my low tech book does not have a description in it. If there is some other Gurps book that has the a description of a Trident dagger I'd like to know.

I'm guessing from my past experince with bladed weapon misconceptions that the reality of this weapon is that it did not work as well as advertised though considering how obcure it is.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Dwarf99

Default Re: Trident Dagger

Possibly combination weapons (pretty sure it's Low Tech) with the weapon breaking function concealed.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
I recently saw a Vsause episode give a brief description of an obcure weapon called a trident dagger where the sides would spring open and trap blades in it.
You can see Porthos use one as a swordbreaker in the 1990s Disney version of the Three Musketeers.

Seems like dubious idea in reality to em as well and I know of no Gurps treatment of it. Get Matt Riggsby to do a second volume of Fantasy-Tech and it would fit in there.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
JP42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You can see Porthos use one as a swordbreaker in the 1990s Disney version of the Three Musketeers.

Seems like dubious idea in reality to em as well and I know of no Gurps treatment of it. Get Matt Riggsby to do a second volume of Fantasy-Tech and it would fit in there.
Good memory! I'd forgotten where I'd seen one of these in use.

Edit: Wikipedia mentions them, and has a picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger

Last edited by JP42; 01-11-2014 at 12:26 PM.
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post
Good memory! I'd forgotten where I'd seen one of these in use.

Edit: Wikipedia mentions them, and has a picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger
Yeah I saw that page, first place I looked, only had about a sentence on the trident dagger.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Yeah I saw that page, first place I looked, only had about a sentence on the trident dagger.
in GURPS it would full under the same rules as the Jitte/Sai. I mean the spring loaded ones only real advantage is it can be collapses in to sheath suitable to use Fast-draw(knife) with it.

Last edited by roguebfl; 01-11-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling of Jitte
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
in GURPS it would full under the same rules as the Jitto/Sai. I mean the spring loaded ones only real advantage is it can be collapses in to sheath suitable to use Fast-draw(knife) with it.
Which you pay for with the drawback that anything with spring loaded moving parts is going to be much easier to break.

I'd probably use something like Main Gauche, one quality factor less than you pay for, gets a +2 to disarm if used with Jitte/Sai skill, and automatically breaks on a critically failed parry.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Which you pay for with the drawback that anything with spring loaded moving parts is going to be much easier to break.

I'd probably use something like Main Gauche, one quality factor less than you pay for, gets a +2 to disarm if used with Jitte/Sai skill, and automatically breaks on a critically failed parry.
Yeah if these Trident daggers really are spring loaded, mechanical failures and possibly complexity of creation are probally the reason these things are obscure historical footnotes.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Yep. This is how I would do it.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Yeah if these Trident daggers really are spring loaded, mechanical failures and possibly complexity of creation are probally the reason these things are obscure historical footnotes.
The ones I've held produced by Renascence Fair swordsmiths were such.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trident dagger