Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2019, 05:27 AM   #1
FeiLin

Default Spaceships 6

I’m following some examples from Spaceships 6, but I can’t get the figures to match.

1. p4 example implies an SM+15 fabricator has capacity of $150 M/h, but I find $ 500 M in Spaceships 1; have i missed an errata? I think there's an errata missing for Spaceships 1 page 16; the top row of the factory table goes 15M, 150M and 500M towards the end, whereas I think it should be 15M, 50M, 150M to follow x3 per SM increase. I couldn't find this in the errata; has this been overlooked or did I miss something? (Excited I found what might be my first errata item; do I get a medal or something??)

2. p4, continued example, says it takes 240 000 man-hours, and that the “time required” is 33 days. It’s not explicitly stated, but that is EXTRA time, I presume. Also, that’s assuming 24/7 contribution from each individual, so wouldn’t a total of 140 days be more reasonable (assuming other parameters are)?

3. In the same example, it says that it’s the hangar bay crew that’s involved, but I assumed it would be that of the factory since its the factory that enables building ships, afaik; which one is it? (In this case is the same, but in other cases it perhaps isn’t.)

4. p5 explains the classes 3-5 starports, and there it involves the tonnage and dHP. Are these calculations averages based on the examples above or are they different (and why)? I assumed starports would follow the same rules, since they’re created with the same rules.
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Spaceships 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
1. p4 example implies an SM+15 fabricator has capacity of $150 M/h, but I find $ 500 M in Spaceships 1; have i missed an errata? I think there's an errata missing for Spaceships 1 page 16; the top row of the factory table goes 15M, 150M and 500M towards the end, whereas I think it should be 15M, 50M, 150M to follow x3 per SM increase. I couldn't find this in the errata; has this been overlooked or did I miss something? (Excited I found what might be my first errata item; do I get a medal or something??)
My version of SS1 has it as 15M, 50M, and 150M. Suggest you redownload from w23. Well, unless you have a dead-tree version.

Quote:
2. p4, continued example, says it takes 240 000 man-hours, and that the “time required” is 33 days. It’s not explicitly stated, but that is EXTRA time, I presume. Also, that’s assuming 24/7 contribution from each individual, so wouldn’t a total of 140 days be more reasonable (assuming other parameters are)?
Considering a system with a workspace requirement of 1 makes no mention of "off" hours or the like for the crewman, it's possible the man-hours above aren't meant to be taken to be work hours - that is, the 240,000 man-hours actually only takes 80,0000 man-work-hours, with each member of the 300 man crew working for 8 hours each day. Note page 5 mentions you can get ships built more quickly by paying overtime, which supports this interpretation.

Quote:
3. In the same example, it says that it’s the hangar bay crew that’s involved, but I assumed it would be that of the factory since its the factory that enables building ships, afaik; which one is it? (In this case is the same, but in other cases it perhaps isn’t.)
The components are assembled by the factory and its workers, but the actual vessel is put together by the hangar bay crew.

Quote:
4. p5 explains the classes 3-5 starports, and there it involves the tonnage and dHP. Are these calculations averages based on the examples above or are they different (and why)? I assumed starports would follow the same rules, since they’re created with the same rules.
At a glance, they appear to be simplifications of the above rules. Note the example ship from p4 takes 40 days to produce the parts and 33 days to assemble; the simplified rules from p5 make this simply 80 days.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Spaceships 6

Large facilities with large factories are capable of producing spaceships very quickly. For example, SM+14 nanofactory is capable of producing $1 billion of spacecraft per day (it also costs $200 billion, but it is able to make that back in less than a year). Of couse, it will only be able to make SM+8 spacecraft at that rate, but it could produce a dozen SM+8 corvettes a day, given enough materials.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
errata, ship construction, spaceships, spaceships 6