Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #561
starslayer

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beini82 View Post
Fair enough but I don't see a real connection between RPM being a real-world or realistic magic system and a shapeshifting effect that can or cannot change your clothes as well. With RPM ANY effect should at least be theoratically possible and changing your clothes with your body is easily achievable (though costly).

They should look like this:

Shapeshift (including clothes)
greater transform body (8), greater transform matter (8), weight 300lbs (3) Duration 30Min. (2).
Multiplier (x5)
(21x5) = 105 energy (130 if conditional)

Shapeshift (without clothes)
greater transform body (8), weight 300lbs (3) Duration 30Min. (2).
Multiplier (x3)
(13x3) = 39 energy (54 if conditional)

Since the energy requirements have such a big gap between them...I was hoping for somebody telling me that that I've made a mistake and it's possible to do it cheaper :)
Once again, if the clothes are themselve covered by body effects (made of leather, hide, bone, fur) then they can be transformed by the same effect which transforms the target can get three clothes.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:13 AM   #562
Beini82

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Once again, if the clothes are themselve covered by body effects (made of leather, hide, bone, fur) then they can be transformed by the same effect which transforms the target can get three clothes.
Except that leather, hide, bone and fur are NOT covered by the path of body ;)
To qualify for that the subject needs to be alive in some way. There is an example with an apple which can only be influenced with path of body as long as it's hanging on a tree and is growing. After it fell to the ground the path of matter jumps in.
Beini82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #563
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beini82 View Post
Except that leather, hide, bone and fur are NOT covered by the path of body ;)
To qualify for that the subject needs to be alive in some way. There is an example with an apple which can only be influenced with path of body as long as it's hanging on a tree and is growing. After it fell to the ground the path of matter jumps in.
humm. I am not sure of your interpretation, but given that restriction....

As long as the creature is large enough you could store the clothes inside via a lesser effect to neatly fold them.

Potentially, you could TEMPORARILY destroy the clothes (they are gone while you are shapeshifted, they just come back when you are done)- via a lesser control matter to deconstruct them- just need to add enough damage to assure that clothes are destroyed.

You could also do reversed bewitched basketry to break the clothes down to there respective components (and then integrate them into your shapeshift)- this would be interestingly lore friendly because then to have clothes after you change into a raven your going to need clothes that use raven feathers and the like. You would also need enough crafting skill to make your clothes.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:17 AM   #564
Zarmonic

Here's an idea...

It sounds like you just want a spell that turns you into a raven, as opposed to a spell that turns you into just any animal. That implies something particular to your own magical tradition, your style. Perhaps the GM would allow you to invent a perk for it. Taking the perk will allow you to treat including clothes as Lesser Transform Matter for that spell and that spell only.

I get this kind of thinking from Pyramid 3/66 and Magical Styles.
Zarmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:47 AM   #565
Beini82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarmonic View Post
Here's an idea...

It sounds like you just want a spell that turns you into a raven, as opposed to a spell that turns you into just any animal. That implies something particular to your own magical tradition, your style. Perhaps the GM would allow you to invent a perk for it. Taking the perk will allow you to treat including clothes as Lesser Transform Matter for that spell and that spell only.

I get this kind of thinking from Pyramid 3/66 and Magical Styles.
This is the perfect idea and overall would give me the best feeling:) I'm using effect shaping RPM from Pyramid 3/66 anyway.

Thank you
Beini82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #566
Zarmonic

Awesome, NP! Have fun.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #567
ssveter

Celerity
Spell Effects: Lesser Transform Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Enhanced Dodge +3 + Altered Trait, Extra Basic Speed +1 + Subject Weight + Duration.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

This spell increases the casters basic speed, and enhances their dodge

This Casting: Lesser Transform Body (8) + Altered Trait, Enhanced Dodge +3 (45) + Altered Trait, Extra Basic Speed +1 (20) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs. (0) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 74 energy (74×1).

My first spell, am I right?
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:24 PM   #568
4rc4num

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssveter View Post
Celerity
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Enhanced Dodge +3 + Altered Trait, Extra Basic Speed +1 + Subject Weight + Duration.

This Casting: Lesser Transform Body (8) + Altered Trait, Enhanced Dodge +3 (45) + Altered Trait, Extra Basic Speed +1 (20) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs. (0) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 74 energy (74×1).

Hum, arent two effects in one ritual ? And this looks like Lesser Strengthen body to me (to the limit of 30% stats increase).

Lesser Strengthen Body (3) + Lesser Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Trait, Enhanced Dodge +3 (45) + Altered Trait, Extra Basic Speed +1 (20) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 75 energy (75×1).
4rc4num is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #569
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssveter View Post
Celerity

No. But a good try! Some points:
  • The way you have Altered Traits will require two spell effects; however you can lump them together into a single trait since it makes sense that they are together.
  • You'd need Lesser Strengthen Body here, not Lesser Transform Body. You're making someone better - not radically altering their physiology.
  • Since this is a spell that physically alters the subject you must have Subject Weight - 300 lbs. is the standard
  • You can't add Enhanced Dodge 3 with a Lesser effect because in most campaigns Enhanced Dodge 1 is the limit to Enhanced Defenses UNLESS it's supernatural or you have Trained by a Master/Weapon Master. Thus you need a Greater effect to do this.

Taking all that into account and you get something like this:

Celerity
Spell Effects: Greater Strengthen Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Enhanced Dodge 3 and Basic Speed +1.00.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

This spell increases the target's Basic Speed by +1.00 and adds +3 to his Dodge (a total increase to Dodge of +4).

Typical Casting: Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Trait, Enhanced Dodge 3 and Basic Speed +1.00 (65) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 216 energy (72 x 3)

A powerful spell! You may wish to tone it down doing the following instead:

Lesser Celerity
Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Enhanced Dodge 1 and Basic Speed +1.00.

This spell increases the target's Basic Speed by +1.00 and adds +1 to his Dodge (a total increase to Dodge of +2).

Typical Casting: Lesser Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Trait, Enhanced Dodge 1 and Basic Speed +1.00 (35) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 42 energy (42 x 1)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:44 PM   #570
Zarmonic

Seems like, if what you most want to do is make the subject harder to hit, it would be much cheaper to go with Path of Chance.

Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows A Bonus, Active defense rolls.

Give the subject a +3 bonus to all active defense rolls!

This Casting: Lesser Control Chance (5) + Bestows A Bonus, +3 to Active defense rolls (20) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 29 energy (29×1).

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology