Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Jason

Default The "right" reward

TL;DR version: When it comes time to give rewards to a PC, is it worth it to give them stuff that doesn't excite them (or their player) just because it feels like "the right thing to do" -- because that's what their Superior would give?

And now, the long version...

Recently, my group wrapped up our months-long series of adventures for the Revelation Cycle. It was a big deal for the PCs and their world, seeing as how they averted an apocalypse and all. In addition to the usual character points, everybody got the option to either stick with their Archangel and get a Distinction, or switch Superiors and get their Choir attunement plus a 5-point discount on another attunement or a Force. (That's IN Core rules, not GURPS, so we're talking another free Choir attunement or a half-price Force/Servitor attunement.)

One of my players seems kind of disappointed with this approach. He's playing a Mercurian of Destiny, and he doesn't really want the Vassal of Destiny attunement. He wants an 11th Force most of all, and more attunements after that. Why would Yves give him a distinction? he asked me. He's not exactly leadership material. I tried to explain that Yves is trying to communicate something to him through the rewards he offers. If he doesn't like what Yves has to say, he should think about employment elsewhere.

My player doesn't much want to switch bosses, though. He likes the concept of a character who loves humans on a personal level, and smites demons just as personally. If he switches Superiors, I suspect it won't be because he wants that for his character, but because he feels like I'm giving him a hard time for not playing by "the rules."

I'm worried that I'm having a hard time balancing what's fun for this player with what's fun for us as a group (and especially for me). I really like feeling like the game exists in an internally consistent narrative world, with NPCs who act in believable ways. In this world, people throw funny looks at a Mercurian of Destiny who prefers more superpowers over a distinction. They raise an eyebrow at a Mercurian of Destiny who chooses "Smite" when Gabriel offers a free attunement. They get especially worried when an angel who should be nonviolent by nature tries to wear a kevlar jacket and carry a bag of grenades everywhere he goes. And in this consistent world of mine (and probably yours), Yves would rather give this guy a Distinction (with nonviolent powers attached) to gently encourage some kinds of behavior over others, and to suggest that maybe it's start acting like a big-boy angel, so to speak.

By the same token, it's probably not such a big deal just to let the guy have the reward he wants. Nobody else in the group will really care, I think, even if they all still wonder why the hell he hasn't switched to Gabriel or Michael yet. Maybe the NPCs will keep badgering him, but that doesn't mean I have to.

I'm probably over thinking this, but it's not the first time it's come up for me. I'm hoping writing about it here will either reveal that I'm not the only one who faces these dilemmas (in which case someone may have a handy solution) or that I am the only one who faces these dilemmas (in which case I definitely am thinking about this too much, and I should just give my buddy what he wants). Either way, your feedback is much appreciated.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tips