Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2021, 05:51 AM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: New GURPS forum questions

FWIW, Scanners is a favorite film. You might have noticed my use of the name "Revok" in certain examples (along with Scanners quotes) in a few GURPS books. Also, I happen to live in the city where most of the film was shot. So I'm all for supporting campaigns inspired by it. :)
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #12
John Tait

Thanks all. I ordered Psionic Campaigns, Social Engineering, Boardroom and Curia and Pyramid Psionics II today, more than enough to be getting on with. I'll definitely keep an eye out for Realm Management too.
John Tait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #13
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I literally have a box on doing exactly this in the book. :-)

Edit: This makes it seem like it would work out of the box and I wanted to clarify - that's not the case. It gives a few quick ideas, but leaves the brunt of the work to the GM. It just notes it IS possible as B&C inspired Realm Management quite a bit.
Quick question about Realm Management:

In terms of fantasy realms, how does it compare to the realms details in the (D&D Basic) Rules Cyclopedia? IIRC (I REALLY need to buy that PDF; sold off my physical copy almost two decades ago...), it mostly listed sources of income (you have a gold mine here, and you can get gems over here).

Does it have the development of a realm (including the RPG questing), like what I understand happens in Pathfinder's Kingmaker (?)?

Does it allow other forms of realms? Like in Birthright's realm ruler, clerical ruler, trading house (or criminal) ruler, magical ruler (assuming ley lines and such)? Or like Power of Faerun (similar sources of power)?
Old 02-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Quick question about Realm Management:

In terms of fantasy realms, how does it compare to the realms details in the (D&D Basic) Rules Cyclopedia? IIRC (I REALLY need to buy that PDF; sold off my physical copy almost two decades ago...), it mostly listed sources of income (you have a gold mine here, and you can get gems over here).

Does it have the development of a realm (including the RPG questing), like what I understand happens in Pathfinder's Kingmaker (?)?

Does it allow other forms of realms? Like in Birthright's realm ruler, clerical ruler, trading house (or criminal) ruler, magical ruler (assuming ley lines and such)? Or like Power of Faerun (similar sources of power)?
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, could you be more explicit by what you're asking instead of pointing me to other things?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #15
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Mostly, will there be rules for priestly hierarchies, trade barons, organized crime families, and so on.

Groups that have a type of realm that isn't attached to owning a geographic region.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:05 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Mostly, will there be rules for priestly hierarchies, trade barons, organized crime families, and so on.

Groups that have a type of realm that isn't attached to owning a geographic region.
That is solidly in GURPS Boardrooms and Curia's playpen. Realms are very specifically nations, galactic empires, kingdoms, or even villages. The land part is important.

Become a Patron!
Old 02-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #17
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I can accept that. :)

My impression of B&C is that it describes an organization, but doesn't give rules on how to play an organization. I'm hoping that R.M. gives rules on how to run an area, beyond the RPG elements.

Ah, well. Maybe a later supplement. Still looking forward to buying R.M.!!!
Old 02-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #18
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tait View Post
I'm looking for a set of rules that let my characters run their own organization like one of those and set them against NPCs doing the much same, as enemies or through very fragile cooperative arrangements. I'd be delighted to find that.
It might be useful to you, or not, but in the recent GURPS Kickstarter, I wrote a couple of articles for the modern volume that focused on the Vietnam-era Phoenix Program. This created a campaign frame in which each month the two sides (insurgents vs counterinsurgents) rolled against applicable skills and if they won the needle moved a click in their direction. I will note that the idea in the Phoenix articles was to set up not only a win/lose but if the winner succeeded well they got more options to launch missions that month and if those missions were successful, they counted as bonuses on the next monthly roll. I set it for a year, the typical deployment time of a Phoenix advisor, with a range of +10 to -10. This monthly roll was based on the various timeframes used in GURPS Social Engineering. You may want to think of setting up your mini-game in such as fashion.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #19
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I can accept that. :)

My impression of B&C is that it describes an organization, but doesn't give rules on how to play an organization. I'm hoping that R.M. gives rules on how to run an area, beyond the RPG elements.

Ah, well. Maybe a later supplement. Still looking forward to buying R.M.!!!
I have a lot of material I took out of the first draft where it shows you how to run a organization as a realm to use the conflict system in Chapter 3. It'll likely go up on my blog or Patreon at some point.

Become a Patron!