Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #41
Varyon

Default Re: Inconsistent Firearm Stats

I'll post it when I get home (if I don't forget), but IIRC Doug's spreadsheet largely boils down to one equation, something like ((Kinetic Energy)^1.03)/(Cross Sectional Area), multiplied by a constant, to get average damage (divide by 3.5 to get damage in dice).
Old 02-18-2021, 01:28 PM   #42
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I'll post it when I get home (if I don't forget), but IIRC Doug's spreadsheet largely boils down to one equation, something like ((Kinetic Energy)^1.03)/(Cross Sectional Area), multiplied by a constant, to get average damage (divide by 3.5 to get damage in dice).
I actually had cause to revisit this a bit for simplicity and some degree of accuracy fixes this past December, which was the first tweak I'd done to it since 2013.

Points of Damage = sqrt (KE in Joules/ (Caliber in mm)^0.4) * 0.6

Nice easy numbers relative to the prior ones. It's an empirical fit, not a physics fit, so don't look for deeper meaning here.

Bit better fidelity with GURPS published values for many common rifle bullets (which tend to do pretty well for real-world benchmarks).
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:10 PM   #43
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I actually had cause to revisit this a bit for simplicity and some degree of accuracy fixes this past December, which was the first tweak I'd done to it since 2013.

Nice easy numbers relative to the prior ones. It's an empirical fit, not a physics fit, so don't look for deeper meaning here.

Bit better fidelity with GURPS published values for many common rifle bullets (which tend to do pretty well for real-world benchmarks).
Nice. Yeah, certainly liking that simplification.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:16 AM   #44
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post

Now for the fun part...

I tried using that formula listed above, and using the iconic 7.62mm NATO round. It ends up giving me a 7d6-1 result compared to the original formulagiving 7d6+0. That Variables I used was

Bullet Mass 150 Grains, Velocity 2800 ft/second, diamater 7.62mm (used Cartridges of the World for this one. Wikipedia uses a 147 grain bullet in its entry for 2800 fps. The three grain difference made no overall difference in the value of damage for 7d6+0.

This It was easy to insert a new line into my spreadsheet and call it "new Damage" using your new formula. I already had a kinetic energy entry on the sheet, so for the variables above, I got a KE value of 3539.77 Joules.

IF it helps, my formula for Kinetic Energy was:

=(BulletMassInGrams*VelocityInMetersPerSecond^2)/2000

The spreadsheet contains a new damage value listed as:

=((KineticEnergyInJoules/ProjDiaInMM^0.4)^0.5)*0.6

Results under the original formula were 25.1 for average damage under the old method, and 23.8 points with the new formula.

Not sure if this helps or not.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #45
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenclary View Post
It should be added to the unofficial FAQ thread.
I added it and related material here to the GURPSwiki.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote