Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Arm ST and picking things up

So lets say mr. arm guy has 10 ST but 100 Arm ST and wants to pick up a car. BL of 100 is 2tons, which I believe is what an arm can pick up. But there's no way that guy could even try. What exactly are the rules on enormous arm ST, larger arms, and what you can and can't do? (I've checked basic set, but it doesn't answer everything)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
Dinadon

Default Re: Arm ST and picking things up

Arm ST only affects you ability to lift, throw or attack. Of note is that it doesn't increase the amount you can carry. Thus anything over 200lbs will put Mr ST 10 over his Heavy Encumbrance, into his Carry on Back, but that only goes to 300lbs. Of course, he can lift his Heavy Encumbrance in one second single handedly.

Shoving and shifting things will depend upon how he is doing it. The important part is that the multiplier assumes that the whole body is going into it. Thus the most he can move with just his arms would be 8xBL, so long as he doesn't lift it off the ground.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
kirbwarrior

One thing I was thinking, and this only works with long arms (much bigger than his size), is that he might be able to lift himself off the ground as well as the object, if he could balance himself.

Also, could he throw that car, instead of lifting it?
Old 11-24-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
One thing I was thinking, and this only works with long arms (much bigger than his size), is that he might be able to lift himself off the ground as well as the object, if he could balance himself.
Does he still have the object in his arms?
Quote:
Also, could he throw that car, instead of lifting it?
The throwing rules require you to pick up an object. So by RAW, no. However, I do feel its permissible to let him push things around very quickly. The object could then be 'thrown' if there was a suitably placed ramp. The actual rules used would probably start from the collision rules though.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #5
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
Does he still have the object in his arms?

The throwing rules require you to pick up an object. So by RAW, no. However, I do feel its permissible to let him push things around very quickly. The object could then be 'thrown' if there was a suitably placed ramp. The actual rules used would probably start from the collision rules though.
I was thinking yes. So, by RAW, you can throw something you have grappled that's on the ground?