Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Spider Climb and Melee attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I have a harder time wrapping my head around ranged attacks from someone upside down. Seems like gravity being backward would really mess with your physics instincts and even the basic mechanics of throwing or firing a weapon. Maybe something like this: ranged attacks while upside down have half the typical range figures for maximum and half-damage. In addition, they suffer double range penalties with a minimum penalty of -4.
That should be a Familiarity penalty.... which I'm not sure if DFRPG bothers with those... so neither would I?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
Rhino

He spent the points. He can walk on the ceiling using his chi. He gets the bonus for attacking from above. No penalty.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
Rupert

I'd just give the effects in the rules: -2 to the ninja's attacks, -2 to the victim's defence. I wouldn't give the full +2 to the ninja's defence unless the ceiling was really high - if it's 10 feet high, the combatants' heads and chests will be roughly level with each other, but I'd give the +1.

If it was full GURPS I'd be pickier.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The description means what it says: You can walk or crawl on walls and ceilings. Walk means what it always does, which is putting one foot in front of the other. Combat at Different Levels (Exploits, p. 47) applies normally . . . just as it does for an ooze (Monsters, p. 45). Attacking from Above (Exploits, p. 38) applies only if the person climbing decides to drop down on someone.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The description means what it says: You can walk or crawl on walls and ceilings. Walk means what it always does, which is putting one foot in front of the other.
So it is supposed to be like a cartoon? Or am I visualizing it wrong?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #16
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

So it is supposed to be like a cartoon? Or am I visualizing it wrong?
It depends how cartoonish your brain thinks it is, I guess. It's just the chi-powered version of the Wallwalker spell (Spells, p. 59), which is no more or less cartoonish than Flight or Walk on Air or any number of other spells that let you defy gravity.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #17
JMason

I'd say what penalties do or don't apply, have a lot to do with the nature of the "ceiling". A 30" tall room is going to put you out of melee reach. A cave is going to have a very uneven ceiling with lots of stalactites and be at least -2 for bad footing. A 10" smooth ceiling isn't going to put you at a different attack level than someone of the floor.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #18
Gnomasz

A relevant question is: if the martial artist hangs from the ceiling, from their perspective their opponent is just as above as the martial artist is for the opponent. So does the martial artist suffer the defensive penalty for fighting on lower ground?
Old 11-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #19
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
A relevant question is: if the martial artist hangs from the ceiling, from their perspective their opponent is just as above as the martial artist is for the opponent. So does the martial artist suffer the defensive penalty for fighting on lower ground?
Oh ho ho! Very nice!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #20
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I’d say no, because most of that penalty is based on gravity, you are still under the effect of gravity, you are just able to stick to the ceiling a la spider-man. Your attack down are assisted by gravity, even though it is ‘up’ relative to your orientation.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote