Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2008, 02:40 AM   #1
Stephen Day

Default House Rules for Working GURPS Cabal With Infinite Worlds

Hi, I've been lurking for awhile since I signed up. I posted one message, but this is the first thread I've started.

I've found the biggest problem with trying to use the information from GURPS Cabal in Infinite Worlds is that Cabal was written with the idea that the universe the book described was the only one. As a result I've had to come up with some house rules to make the two sources work together.

There is No Such Thing as a No Man Area

That all existence flows from the Decans (and originally from the realm of Briah) and that everything is made of magic is one of the main thoughts that Cabal magic is based on. This simply isn't campatible with the thought that places can exist where there is no magic.

I decided that Infinity only thinks that these place are without magic. They are instead areas of extreme low mana. Magic will work, but all spells work only at a basic ritual level. The magic user must also have at least one correspondence connecting him to the decan that corresponds to the appropriate spell college. Something the Cabal of course knows.

The Cabal Seeks to Control Magic

This is the strongest theme in GURPS Cabal and one I've struggled with in trying mesh with Infinite Worlds.

The first decision I made is that everyone is naturally attuned to only two colleges. Everyone may cast spells from all colleges, but any spell from outside the character's natural colleges requires that the character have at least one correspondence in his possession. This seems to satisfy the theme that the Cabal understands how magic works in ways that outsiders don't

The second decison I made was that given it's 5000 year history in the Infinite Worlds, the Cabal would have plenty of time to control and hide the existence of any colleges they deemed to be dangerous. Gate spells and Communication and Empathy spells are therefore unavailable to PCs outside of a Cabal based campaign.

I just wanted to get an idea from other more experienced GMs about all of this. Will this work? Is there anything I might have overlooked?
Stephen Day is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabal, cosmology, fantasy, infinite worlds