Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy and HT Rolls -> Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I used the rules that these are derived from from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons frequently in my last DF game. I found that for the most part the PCs did enough damage that most monsters that it makes sense to treat as minions would have suffered a major wound anyway, so really having them stop fighting with any hit that did damage was just a time saving measure that didn't change the difficulty of the encounter or its outcome.
It becomes a problem if players are using area attacks, particularly vs targets that don't have armor. If you throw a 3d explosive fireball (1 turn casting time), your expected result is 10 damage to a target you actually hit, 3 damage to other targets at 0-1 hexes away, 1 damage to targets at 2-3 hexes away. The difference between 'the one target I hit dies' and 'all targets in the area die' is rather significant.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy and HT Rolls -> Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It becomes a problem if players are using area attacks, particularly vs targets that don't have armor. If you throw a 3d explosive fireball (1 turn casting time), your expected result is 10 damage to a target you actually hit, 3 damage to other targets at 0-1 hexes away, 1 damage to targets at 2-3 hexes away. The difference between 'the one target I hit dies' and 'all targets in the area die' is rather significant.
So set the hors'd'combat level for those fodder at major wound instead of 1 point, the box allows either option.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote