Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
PK

Default GURPS Hot Spots: The Silk Road

Even a god-king
Must humbly wait a decade
For Chinese take-out
— Segerseni, Obscure Egyptian Pharoah
Our world has always been inescapably interconnected. A moth flaps its wings in China, so the saying goes, and a day later a storm forms in Europe. Except that the true global change happened back before the moth even emerged from its cocoon, when it spun strands of thread to be woven into silk for trading halfway across the world.

GURPS Hot Spots: The Silk Road explores the Seidenstraße, a collection of trade routes through Central Asia which connected the world to a degree that remained unsurpassed for millennia. Whether used in historical games or as inspiration for more fantastical ones, the Silk Road is brimming with exotic sights and potential adventures! Ancient underground temples lie within the sands of the Taklamakan Desert, awaiting exploration. Rogue bands of steppe archers threaten to prey upon Sogdian merchants, who enlist trained mercenaries for protection. Abbasid spies stalk Imperial couriers, attempting to ferret out where Chinese defenses are weak. And all the while, countless cultures and religions meet, intermingle, and clash.

Tour the geography of the Seidenstraße, with over six pages of detailed maps and a full gazetteer detailing everything from nations to small-but-important towns and shrines. Immerse yourself in the wide range of cultures, learning about everything from key religions and careers to local food and music. Organize a campaign, with details for everything from trading and economics to military tactics and GURPS Mass Combat. And optionally mix this all with anything from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy to GURPS Horror: The Madness Dossier. The included adventure seeds and ready-to-use character traits make it easy, and everything else makes it fun.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0662
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-0662_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
b-dog

Default Re: GURPS Hot Spots: The Silk Road

This is great for what I am interested in. I am using a mix of Ars Magica, GURPS Arabian Nights and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy with a dose of Cthulhu Dark Ages so this will be very useful to me for adventuring outside of the Islamic world. I hope it will be up soon.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
Rigil_Kent

Awesome! That's definitely going to be BUY NOW for me!

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #4
Paulon

Warehouse 23 is back up and running.
Paulon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Buzzardo

A Matt Riggsby supplement? Insta-purchase. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:06 AM   #6
SolemnGolem

:steeplefingers: Eeeexcellent!

Buying now!

Edit: This reminds me of an old thread I posted, about trade between Europe and China in medieval ages (albeit with a dash of fantasy).

Last edited by SolemnGolem; 05-12-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added related old thread
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
Tinman

I love Matt Riggsby's stuff. It's always interesting, useful and high quality.
I picked it up last night.
I'm going to find a way to put it into my group's DF campaign set on Yirth (Banestorm).
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
ULFGARD

This is the supplement I've been waiting for for at least a decade. I have skimmed some of it and I am utterly enthralled. I've had a fantasy version of the Silk Road in my fantasy game for at least that long. Now I can file the serial numbers off and basically import this wholesale into my game. (I've used it for both DF and garden variety heroic fantasy.)

I'd like to recommend Harold Lamb's work for inspiration. Although set in the 15th & 16th centuries, his Cossack Tales - most famously the Khlit the Cossack stories - are a gold mine of ideas. They were written for the pulps back in the 20s, but they're very well written and mostly historically accurate. There are some (including myself) who see his influence on Robert E. Howard's writing, in particular Conan. Enjoy!
Old 05-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #9
Buzzardo

I've got a long trade route through a mix of cultures and terrain types. With name changes and some other shifts, this'll fit right in.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
dripton

I didn't know I wanted this, but as soon as I heard the title, I realized I did.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, hot spots, silk road