Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Drone 5

Default Innate Attack: Jet attack misses target

I am real new to GURPS but I am having a small problem the the Innate Attack of a Jet attack.
I know that Jet attacks are considered a melee attacks but what happens if you miss your target? What if someone is standing behind the intended target, is there a chance that person is hit from the miss? I know there is that chance for ranged attacks but this is classified as a melee attack. The rules state "Your attack is a continuous stream, like a flamethrower". Seems to me that the Jet would continue on and have a chance to hit some other target that is inline with the attack.
I guess the same could be asked for the spell of Flame Jet.
Drone 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Innate Attack: Jet attack misses target

A jet is treated as an incorporeal weapon with a specific reach. Assuming there's other targets in reach, sure, a miss can hit other targets (so can a miss with a solid melee weapon, though it's less likely).
Old 12-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
I am real new to GURPS but I am having a small problem the the Innate Attack of a Jet attack.
I know that Jet attacks are considered a melee attacks but what happens if you miss your target? What if someone is standing behind the intended target, is there a chance that person is hit from the miss? I know there is that chance for ranged attacks but this is classified as a melee attack. The rules state "Your attack is a continuous stream, like a flamethrower". Seems to me that the Jet would continue on and have a chance to hit some other target that is inline with the attack.
I guess the same could be asked for the spell of Flame Jet.
Given how long they are it's not going to reach another hex outward. They might hit someone on either side.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
Nemoricus

I'd treat this as an application of the Hitting the Wrong Target rules from Basic Set p. 389. In short, for every person on the line from you to your target and beyond, roll 9 or less to see if you hit them. If you miss or they successfully dodge, move on to the next target in line. Repeat until someone gets hit, you reach maximum range, or there are no targets left.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
Tinman

While I know Jet attacks are classified as melee attacks, I apply this only to the attacker's modifiers. For all defense purposes, I classify them as missile attacks. So no retreats & a miss will hit the wrong target on a 9 or less, ect...
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote