Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2015, 01:42 AM   #41
DangerousThing

Default Re: Post-Apocalypse Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Any suggestions for "common" guns?

Also Evil I understand that I'm new here so I don't fault you for not knowing how savvy I am, but I live in alaska and own several guns and know full well why the M1911 is called the M1911.
You aren't the only one reading this, and I didn't know.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #42
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
It also makes me do more bookkeeping because I can't just hand my players a copy of low-tech and telling them no exotic items or only universal items then sprinkle in high-tech items as needed.
That's why you tell them "It's TL4, but here's a short list of TL5+ goods or capacities you can buy". I did that, with the 'cutting edge' TL5 Flintlocks being doubled in price if they didn't have enough Military Rank. And though I had a PC start with skills in higher tech areas (they were playing an 'Archaeotech' - 'Archaeologist + Technician') they didn't have access to anything beyond 8 (and just as with TL5 weapons, every step up doubled the price).

Though denying them access to TL5 steel armor isn't a stretch, unless they have a steel refinery down in that bunker... they probably do have a number of ballistic vests and helmets (possibly even riot gear) at TL8 hanging around.

Last edited by evileeyore; 08-21-2015 at 07:16 AM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #43
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That's why you tell them "It's TL4, but here's a short list of TL5+ goods or capacities you can buy". I did that, with the 'cutting edge' TL5 Flintlocks being doubled in price if they didn't have enough Military Rank. And though I had a PC start with skills in higher tech areas (they were playing an 'Archaeotech' - 'Archaeologist + Technician') they didn't have access to anything beyond 8 (and just as with TL5 weapons, every step up doubled the price).

Though denying them access to TL5 steel armor isn't a stretch, unless they have a steel refinery down in that bunker... they probably do have a number of ballistic vests and helmets (possibly even riot gear) at TL8 hanging around.
Ok you've won me over now what specific items should be offered in there community? What melee weapons, muscle powered ranged weapons, and firearms should be available, armor too.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #44
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
A standard Glock handgun used by many police forces is fully accurate and reliable to upwards of 15,000 rounds.
Most poly framed service pistols should last well over 100k rounds with maintenance before crapping out.

A really competitive IPSC/IDPA shooter will burn 50k rounds a year just training pistol.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #45
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Also note that the rule in High-Tech about TL5+ steel armour was written before Low-Tech and thus assumed different armour stats. It may be fair to double the DR ratings given in GURPS Basic Set for many types of metal armour for better steel at TL5+, but with the better protection-for-weight ratios in LT, it's too big an advantage.

A more reasonable method would be to use the stats from Low-Tech, but reduce the cost at TL5+. Even Good-quality armour would get a price reduction (probably available at Cheap prices) and Hardened Steel and Duplex Steel would get massive price reductions.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #46
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post
Most poly framed service pistols should last well over 100k rounds with maintenance before crapping out.

A really competitive IPSC/IDPA shooter will burn 50k rounds a year just training pistol.
Although ... I doubt that most shooters before 1945 could shoot as much as American sports shooters do today, because they could not afford it and their weapons usually needed more time to ready and maintain, but I am sure some of them were very good shots. Probably not as good as today's elite sports and professional shooters, but plenty good enough for adventuring.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #47
Minuteman37

Question concerning the prices of the equipment my PCs will be buying. Since there community is based out of the alaskan wilderness they don't really have access to a steady supply of metal ore or other harder to obtain resources so I'd like to have the items price reflect that, but I'm unsure how to go about it. My first instinct is to set the campaign's TL at 8 to reflect all the old world knowledge that is still around, but have a lower TL economy like 0, 1, or 2.

What are your thoughts evileeyore? you've been trying to convince me to go TL5 for a while now.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #48
Minuteman37

Yet another question, I'm assembling an equipment list for my players to buy from while in play and am assigning finite stock to most items as well as a production time if they want to commission more. Now I can't seem to find any numbers on how long it would take to actually make most weapons in GURPS, anyone have any ideas for where to locate them or how to improvise?
Old 08-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #49
Anaraxes

Low-Tech Companion 3 has some rules for manufacturing. Basically, you divide the labor portion of the cost of the item (list price minus materials cost) by the pay for the artisan that creates it to get time required. See LTC3 for details and example numbers. Your setting might of course vary on how expensive it is to get copper, steel, etc.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #50
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Low-Tech Companion 3 has some rules for manufacturing. Basically, you divide the labor portion of the cost of the item (list price minus materials cost) by the pay for the artisan that creates it to get time required. See LTC3 for details and example numbers. Your setting might of course vary on how expensive it is to get copper, steel, etc.
Thanks I'll take a look, btw is it kosher to post my spreadsheet with the items my players will be able to buy? it has all the stats listed so I'm unsure.

Tags
after the end