Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
EskrimadorNC

Default "...and the road becomes my Bride." [ATE]: Recruitment Thread

So I'm going to be running an After The End campaign, and I'm looking for players. I have 6 openings, though I'm fine with starting the game off with just 4 players. This is probably going to be a fairly casual game, so just posting a couple of times a week is all I really need from the players. Take a look at the campaign specifics and optional rules below, and if you are interested, post your character build. Also, feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about the campaign.

“…and the road becomes my Bride.”

PRIMARY CAUSE:
• Mega-Virus

SECONDARY AFFECTS:
• Bombs Away
• Things Fall Apart
• Walkers and Shufflers

Appropriate Hazards: Radiation, Chemicals and Munitions, Gangs, Paramilitaries, Zombies, Disease, Mutants

Max TL Reached: TL8 (~ Year 2020)

How long ago? 2 – 3 Generations (~70 years ago)

Location/Setting: Campaign will begin near the former US Appalachians, but will likely include travel well outside of that area. Campaign begins in early December, with cool/chilly weather as the norm (~mid to low 30s [Fahrenheit]), with light snowfall in the area.

Character Building:
-Choose one 150pt Template from ATE1 – Wastelanders
• I recommend against the TECH template unless you REALLY want to play one. See note on starting equipment below.
-Add the 50-point Experienced lens detailed at the end of the template.
-Add one of the generic lenses starting on ATE1 Pg 17.
-You MUST take Sense of Duty (Friends) as one of your template advantages.
-Optional: Choose up to -5 points in quirks, spend the points however you like, with GM Approval
-Note: DO NOT spend any points on equipment. The characters will being the game with ZERO equipment, but will get an opportunity to acquire equipment very early on. If you want to spend points on SIGNATURE GEAR, please request that to me directly, and we can work out the particulars.

Campaign Style:
-Heroic Realism with a dash of Gritty.

Morality:
-Heroes Wanted with a dash of Shades of Gray
• The PCs need to be heroic and self-sacrificing, but most of the rest of the world is somewhere between good and evil...mostly just selfish.

General Background:
There was a great conventional war that wrought much destruction across the land. Small arms, bombs, missiles, and even precise tactical nukes devastated the land. But it was the plague that bought humanity to its knees. It is believed that some faction released a virus that soon affected most of the world’s population.

Additional Rules:

Melee Weapon Skills have been simplified to the following list:
NOTE: All templates should replace existing Melee Weapon skills with the skills below

• One-Handed Balanced (DX/A)
o Defaults: DX-4, Two-Handed Balanced -2, One/Two-Handed Unbalanced -3
o Includes Swords, Sticks, and all other Balanced 1-handed weapons larger than a Knife
o Also includes any balanced one-handed improvised weapons

• One-Handed Unbalanced (DX/A)
o Defaults: DX-4, Two-Handed Unbalanced -2, One/Two-Handed Balanced -3
o Includes Axes, Maces, weighted clubs, etc.
o Also includes any unbalanced one-handed improvised weapons

• Two-Handed Balanced (DX/A)
o Defaults: DX-4, One-Handed Balanced -2, One/Two-Handed Unbalanced -3
o Includes two-handed Swords, Staves, Spears, and Balanced Polearms
o Also includes any balanced two-handed improvised weapons

• Two-Handed Unbalanced (DX/A)
o Defaults: DX-4, One-Handed Unbalanced -2, One/Two-Handed Balanced -3
o Includes Great Axes, Warhammers, Mauls, and Un-balanced Polearms
o Also includes any unbalanced two-handed improvised weapons

• Chain/Flexible Weapons (DX/H)
o Defaults: DX-5
o Includes Kusaris, One and Two-handed Flails, Whips, and other Flexible weapons
o Also includes any improvised chain/flexible weapons

• Knife (DX/E)
o As Knife skill on B208, but including weapons formerly covered by Main-Gauche and Sai/Jitte.

Revised Ranged Combat Modifiers:
• See Douglas Cole's Quick and Dirty Guns Combat

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
EskrimadorNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:36 AM   #2
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: "...and the road becomes my Bride." [ATE]: Recruitment Thread

A few questions:
You indicate we start with no equipment, do we at least start properly clothed for the weather, or is Temperature Tolerance (Cold) 1 recommended?

Which Survival skills are most relevant? I would guess Mountains, Plains, Radioactive Wasteland, possibly Woodlands?

Since the primary cause of the end was Mega-Virus, do you recommend a certain HT-level against disease (HT 11 + Resistant to Disease (+3)?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Ransom

Character first draft:

Code:
Template: Hunter+Experienced+Hardy

Point Value [150]

SOCIAL

Appearance: Average
Wealth: Normal 
Languages: English (Native)
Culture: Anglo

ATTRIBUTES [160]

ST 11 [10]
DX 13 [40]
IQ 12 [20]
HT 14 [40]

HP 11
Will 12
Per 14 [10]
FP 12
RP 12

Basic Lift 24
Basic Speed 6.25
Basic move 6

ADVANTAGES [45]

20 points stat boosts
Outdoorsman 2 [20]

25 points free advantages
Danger Sense [15]
Less Sleep 4 [8]
Night Vision 2 [2]

40 points from Hardy lens
High Pain Threshold [10]
Immunity to Disease [10]
Fit [5]
Very Rapid Healing [15]

DISADVANTAGES [-45]

-20 points motivations
Sense of Duty (Friends) [-5]
Code of Honor (Pirates) [-5]
Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]

-25 points free disadvantages
Delusion (The Outdoors is always safer than in a building) [-10]
Callous [-5]
Light Sleeper [-5]
Intolerance (City Dwellers) [-5]

SKILLS
Camouflage (E) IQ+1 [2]  +2 Outdoorsman
Scrounging (E) Per+1 [4]
Survival (Woodland) (A) Per+1 [4]  +2 Outdoorsman
Bow (A) DX+2 [8]

Sojourner:
Area Knowledge (Blue Ridge Mtns) (E) IQ+1 [2]
Cartography (A) IQ
Navigation (Land) (A) IQ+2 [8] +2 Outdoorsman
Survival (Radioactive Wasteland) (A) Per [2] +2 Outdoorsman
Hiking (A) HT [2]

2 secondary combat skills
Brawling (E) DX+1 [2]
Wrestling (A) DX [2]

5 2-point secondary skills
Two-handed Balanced (A) DX [2]
Throwing (A) DX [2]
Armory (Missile weapons) IQ [2]
Boating (Unpowered) DX [2]
Weather Sense (A) IQ [2]

5 background skills
First-aid (E) IQ [1]
Knot-tying (E) DX [1]
Running (A) HT-1 [1]
Swimming (E) HT [1]
Tracking (A) Per-1 [1]

10 points free from experienced lens
Naturalist (H) IQ+1 [8] +2 Outdoorsman
Stealth (A) DX+0 [2]

QUIRKS [-5]
Careful [-1]
Deliberately Ambiguous About What the "F" in His Name Stands For [-1]
3 TBA
Basic idea is a mountain man who specializes in living off the land and flying under the radar of threats.

Last edited by Ransom; 05-14-2016 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added to quirks based on backstory
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
RogerBW

This is a very rough cut; the GCA templates haven't given me the full 250 points, so I'll be tweaking him up from the 222 here.

Dr James Cole, Hardy Experienced Medic

Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 14 [40].
Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 10 [0]; Will 12 [0]; Per 12 [0]; FP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 5.75 [-10]; Basic Move 5 [0].
Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Doc (After the End; Effective Skill 12) [0]; Doc - Experienced (After The End; Effective Skill 12) [0]; Hardy (After the End) [0]; Healer 4 [40]; High Manual Dexterity 1 [5]; Higher Purpose (Heal others) [5]; Immunity to Disease [10]; Luck [15]; Resistant to Poison (+3 to resist) [5]; Very Fit [15]; Very Rapid Healing [15].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Professional) [-5]; Easy to Read [-10]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Post-Combat Shakes [-5*]; Sense of Duty (Friends & Companions; Small Group) [-5]; Shyness (Mild) [-5]; Xenophilia [-10*].
Quirks: Horrible Hangovers [-1]; Nosy [-1]; Uncongenial [-1].
Skills: Area Knowledge (local) (E) IQ+1 [2]-13; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-10; Diagnosis/TL (Human) (H) IQ+4 [4]-16†; Driving/TL (Automobile) (A) DX-1 [1]-10; Electronics Operation/TL (Medical) (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Expert Skill (Mutants) (H) IQ-2 [1]-10; Guns/TL (Pistol) (E) DX+2 [4]-13; Hazardous Materials/TL (Biological) (A) IQ+1 [4]-13; Hazardous Materials/TL (Chemical) (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Hazardous Materials/TL (Radioactive) (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Knife (E) DX+2 [4]-13; Observation (A) Per-1 [1]-11; Physician/TL (Human) (H) IQ+5 [8]-17†; Poisons/TL (H) IQ-1 [1]-11; Scrounging (E) Per+1 [2]-13; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-12; Surgery/TL (Human) (VH) IQ+4 [8]-16†; Survival (Mountain) (A) Per [2]-12; Throwing (A) DX+1 [4]-12; Weather Sense (A) IQ-1 [1]-11.

* Multiplied for self-control number; see p. B120.
† Includes +4 from Healer.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
GnomesofZurich

Here are my rough drafts.

Leonoel / Noeleon 250 point character (Experienced Mutated Normal-Sized Hulk)

Leonoel (or Noeleon, they always bicker about which head's name goes first) has two heads, four arms, a noticeably enlarged barrel chest and torso and two tree trunk-like legs. Raised in a reasonably tolerant community, the twins were a natural fit in the militia, and quickly took to that training. With two heads, they've shown an aptitude for guard duty, and their size and imposing physique lead to training as a heavy gunner. Not long ago, the community was attacked by raiders, with many casualties, and in the aftermath there was a political schism among the survivors, who divided into small groups. Leonoel are now trying to find a new place to call home.
Attributes: ST 17 [70]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d+2/3d-1; BL 58 lbs.; HP 17 [0]; Will 11 [5]; Per 10 [0]; FP 12 [0]; RP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 6.25 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0].
Advantages: Ambidexterity [5]; Brainy 1 [11]; Extra Attack [25]; Handy 2 [14]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Night Vision 3 [3]; Peripheral Vision [15]; Quick Reload (Detachable Magazine) [1]; Redundant Organs [16]. Freakishness 14.
Disadvantages: Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Code of Honor (Soldier’s) [-10]; Disturbing Voice [-10]; Odious Personal Habit (The two heads bicker) [-5]; Overweight [-1]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Sense of Duty (Friends) [-5]. Freaky Oddities (Barrel chested, pulse strong enough to be visible).
Quirks: Broad-Minded [-1]; Bulky Frame [-1]; Delusion (We're not mutants, we're conjoined twins!) [-1]; Likes Guard/Sentry Duty [-1]; Responsible [-1]
Primary Skills: Fast-Draw (Ammo) (E) DX [1]-13; Guns (LAW) (E) DX+2 [4]-15; (LMG) (E) DX+3 [8]-16; Intimidation (A) Will+1 [4]-12; Liquid Projector (Flamethrower) (E) DX+2 [4]-15; Two-Handed Balanced (A) DX-1 [1]-12; Wrestling (A) DX [2]-13.
Secondary Skills: Armoury (Small Arms) (A) IQ [2]-10; First Aid (E) IQ+1 [2]-11; Hiking (A) HT [2]-12; Soldier (A) IQ [2]-10; Stealth (A) DX [2]-13; Survival (Radioactive Wasteland) (A) Per [2]-10.
Background Skills: Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-12; Crossbow (E) DX+1 [2]-14; Fast-Draw (Arrow) (E) DX [1]-13; Forced Entry (E) DX [1]-13; Gesture (E) IQ [1]-10; Observation (A) Per-1 [1]-9; Shield (E) DX+1 [2]-14.

Notes: As per this PK post, expanded in Pyramid #3-90 "Are We Not Men?", I took Peripheral Vision and paid for it using 9 points from my mutation budget, with the remainder from my template advantages. Quirks were used to buy/enhance skills (Crossbow, Shield, Wrestling).

Lee "the Eel", Looter-for-Hire 250 point character (Experienced Mutated Scavenger)

Lee is a mutant, and proud of it. He grew up on the coast, and made the most of his abilities looting cities that had been swallowed up by the sea-level rise, using his abilities to access areas others can't. Although avaricious, he has a soft spot for other mutants. Recently, he was ambushed by a gang of mutant haters when returning from an excursion. Although he was injured, he managed to kill their leader and escape. The remaining gang members have sworn revenge, so Lee has migrated inland to try to escape them.
Attributes: ST 13 [30]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d/2d-1; BL 51 lbs.; HP 13 [0]; Will 12 [0]; Per 15 [15]; FP 12 [0]; RP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 6 [-5]; Basic Move 6 [0].
Advantages: Boosted Hemoglobin [8]; Breath Holding 1 [2]; Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin) [5]; Electrolocation [8]*; Fins 1 [8]; Fish Eyes [1]*; Flesh Pocket [4]; Lifting ST 3 [9]; Night Vision 2 [2]; Prickly [3]; Resistance to Disease (+3) [3]; Suction Pads [16]; Temperature Tolerance (Cold) 1 [1]. Freakishness 13.
Disadvantages: Curious (12) [-5]; Enemies (Medium Group, Hunter; 6) [-10]; Greed (12) [-15]; Sense of Duty (Friends) [-5]; Skinny [-5].
Quirks: Careful [-1]; Code of Honour (Stays Bought) [-1]; Literal-Minded [-1]; Secretive [-1]; Soft Spot (Mutants) [-1]. Freaky Oddities (Webbed fingers and toes, bumpy skin).
Primary Skills: Architecture (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Forced Entry (E) DX+1 [2]-14; Lockpicking (A) IQ+2 [8]-14; Scrounging (E) Per+2 [4]-17; Search (A) Per+1 [4]-16; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-14; Streetwise (A) IQ [2]-12; Traps (A) IQ+2 [8]-14; Urban Survival (A) Per [2]-15.
Secondary Skills: Anthropology (H) IQ [4]-12; Area Knowledge (local) (E) IQ+1 [2]-13; One-Handed Unbalanced (A) DX [2]-13; Current Affairs (Regional) (E) IQ+1 [2]-13; Guns (Pistol) (E) DX+1 [2]-14; Knife (E) DX+1 [2]-14; Merchant (A) IQ [2]-12; Survival (Woodlands) (A) Per [2]-15.
Background Skills: Breath Control (H) HT-1 [2]-11; Expert Skill (Mutants) (H) IQ-1 [2]-11; Explosives (EOD) (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; First Aid (E) IQ [1]-12; Gesture (E) IQ [1]-12; Hazardous Materials (Biological) (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Holdout (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Observation (A) Per-1 [1]-14; Smuggling (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Wrestling (A) DX-1 [1]-12.

*: Non-standard mutations. Electrolocation (Scanning Sense (Field Sense) [10], Freakishness 2) [8]; Fish Eyes (Nictitating Membrance 2, Freakishness 1) [1].

If Leonoel is a bit too over-the-top, Lee should work.

One question: if I have Amphibious (Fins 1) and Clinging (Suction Pads), is there any reason to put points in Climbing and Swimming?

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 05-02-2016 at 05:28 PM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Here are my rough drafts.

Leonoel / Noeleon 250 point character (Experienced Mutated Normal-Sized Hulk)

Leonoel (or Noeleon, they always bicker about which head's name goes first) has two heads, four arms, a noticeably enlarged barrel chest and torso and two tree trunk-like legs. Raised in a reasonably tolerant community, the twins were a natural fit in the militia, and quickly took to that training. With two heads, they've shown an aptitude for guard duty, and their size and imposing physique lead to training as a heavy gunner. Not long ago, the community was attacked by raiders, with many casualties, and in the aftermath there was a political schism among the survivors, who divided into small groups. Leonoel are now trying to find a new place to call home.
Attributes: ST 17 [70]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d+2/3d-1; BL 58 lbs.; HP 17 [0]; Will 11 [5]; Per 10 [0]; FP 12 [0]; RP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 6.25 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0].
Advantages: Ambidexterity [5]; Brainy 1 [11]; Extra Attack [25]; Handy 2 [14]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Night Vision 3 [3]; Peripheral Vision [15]; Quick Reload (Detachable Magazine) [1]; Redundant Organs [16]. Freakishness 14.
Disadvantages: Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Code of Honor (Soldier’s) [-10]; Disturbing Voice [-10]; Odious Personal Habit (The two heads bicker) [-5]; Overweight [-1]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Sense of Duty (Friends) [-5]. Freaky Oddities (Barrel chested, pulse strong enough to be visible).
Quirks: Broad-Minded [-1]; Bulky Frame [-1]; Delusion (We're not mutants, we're conjoined twins!) [-1]; Likes Guard/Sentry Duty [-1]; Responsible [-1]
Primary Skills: Fast-Draw (Ammo) (E) DX [1]-13; Guns (LAW) (E) DX+2 [4]-15; (LMG) (E) DX+3 [8]-16; Intimidation (A) Will+1 [4]-12; Liquid Projector (Flamethrower) (E) DX+2 [4]-15; Two-Handed Balanced (A) DX-1 [1]-12; Wrestling (A) DX [2]-13.
Secondary Skills: Armoury (Small Arms) (A) IQ [2]-10; First Aid (E) IQ+1 [2]-11; Hiking (A) HT [2]-12; Soldier (A) IQ [2]-10; Stealth (A) DX [2]-13; Survival (Radioactive Wasteland) (A) Per [2]-10.
Background Skills: Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-12; Crossbow (E) DX+1 [2]-14; Fast-Draw (Arrow) (E) DX [1]-13; Forced Entry (E) DX [1]-13; Gesture (E) IQ [1]-10; Observation (A) Per-1 [1]-9; Shield (E) DX+1 [2]-14.

Notes: As per this PK post, expanded in Pyramid #3-90 "Are We Not Men?", I took Peripheral Vision and paid for it using 9 points from my mutation budget, with the remainder from my template advantages. Quirks were used to buy/enhance skills (Crossbow, Shield, Wrestling).
He looks good. I am curious though as to what made you change your mind from Melee Generalist to Heavy Weapons? Both are fine, though it may be a good distance into the campaign before heavy weapons become available.

Like I mentioned about the Tech template, I don't any surprises to come up after we start that make people regret the build they chose.

Quote:
Lee "the Eel", Looter-for-Hire 250 point character (Experienced Mutated Scavenger)

Lee is a mutant, and proud of it. He grew up on the coast, and made the most of his abilities looting cities that had been swallowed up by the sea-level rise, using his abilities to access areas others can't. Although avaricious, he has a soft spot for other mutants. Recently, he was ambushed by a gang of mutant haters when returning from an excursion. Although he was injured, he managed to kill their leader and escape. The remaining gang members have sworn revenge, so Lee has migrated inland to try to escape them.
Attributes: ST 13 [30]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d/2d-1; BL 51 lbs.; HP 13 [0]; Will 13 [0]; Per 15 [15]; FP 12 [0]; RP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 6 [-5]; Basic Move 6 [0].
Advantages: Boosted Hemoglobin [8]; Breath Holding 1 [2]; Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin) [5]; Electrolocation [8]*; Fins 1 [8]; Fish Eyes [1]*; Flesh Pocket [4]; Lifting ST 3 [9]; Night Vision 3 [3]; Prickly [3]; Resistance to Disease (+3) [3]; Suction Pads [16]. Freakishness 13.
Disadvantages: Curious (12) [-5]; Enemies (Medium Group, Hunter; 6) [-10]; Greed (12) [-15]; Sense of Duty (Friends) [-5]; Skinny [-5].
Quirks: Careful [-1]; Code of Honour (Stays Bought) [-1]; Literal-Minded [-1]; Secretive [-1]; Soft Spot (Mutants) [-1]. Freaky Oddities (Webbed fingers and toes, bumpy skin).
Primary Skills: Architecture (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Forced Entry (E) DX+1 [2]-14; Lockpicking (A) IQ+2 [8]-14; Scrounging (E) Per+2 [4]-17; Search (A) Per+1 [4]-16; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-14; Streetwise (A) IQ [2]-12; Traps (A) IQ+2 [8]-14; Urban Survival (A) Per [2]-15.
Secondary Skills: Anthropology (H) IQ [4]-12; Area Knowledge (local) (E) IQ+1 [2]-13; One-Handed Unbalanced (A) DX [2]-13; Current Affairs (Regional) (E) IQ+1 [2]-13; Guns (Pistol) (E) DX+1 [2]-14; Knife (E) DX+1 [2]-14; Merchant (A) IQ [2]-12; Survival (Radioactive Wasteland) (A) Per [2]-15.
Background Skills: Breath Control (H) HT-1 [2]-11; Expert Skill (Mutants) (H) IQ-1 [2]-11; Explosives (EOD) (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; First Aid (E) IQ [1]-12; Gesture (E) IQ [1]-12; Hazardous Materials (Radioactive) (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Holdout (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Observation (A) Per-1 [1]-14; Smuggling (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Wrestling (A) DX-1 [1]-12.

*: Non-standard mutations. Electrolocation (Scanning Sense (Field Sense) [10], Freakishness 2) [8]; Fish Eyes (Nictitating Membrance 2, Freakishness 1) [1].

If Leonoel is a bit too over-the-top, Lee should work.

One question: if I have Amphibious (Fins 1) and Clinging (Suction Pads), is there any reason to put points in Climbing and Swimming?
Yeah, I really like this guy, but I'm worried about how many of his skills and abilities will be wasted in a mostly land-locked campaign.

As for the Amphibious and Clinging, let me do some reading and I'll get back to you.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #7
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
This is a very rough cut; the GCA templates haven't given me the full 250 points, so I'll be tweaking him up from the 222 here.

Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 14 [40].
Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 10 [0]; Will 12 [0]; Per 12 [0]; FP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 5.75 [-10]; Basic Move 5 [0].
Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Doc (After the End; Effective Skill 12) [0]; Doc - Experienced (After The End; Effective Skill 12) [0]; Hardy (After the End) [0]; Healer 4 [40]; High Manual Dexterity 1 [5]; Higher Purpose (Heal others) [5]; Immunity to Disease [10]; Luck [15]; Resistant to Poison (+3 to resist) [5]; Very Fit [15]; Very Rapid Healing [15].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Professional) [-5]; Easy to Read [-10]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Post-Combat Shakes [-5*]; Sense of Duty (Friends & Companions; Small Group) [-5]; Shyness (Mild) [-5]; Xenophilia [-10*].
Quirks: Horrible Hangovers [-1]; Nosy [-1]; Uncongenial [-1].
Skills: Area Knowledge (local) (E) IQ+1 [2]-13; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-10; Diagnosis/TL (Human) (H) IQ+4 [4]-16†; Driving/TL (Automobile) (A) DX-1 [1]-10; Electronics Operation/TL (Medical) (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Expert Skill (Mutants) (H) IQ-2 [1]-10; Guns/TL (Pistol) (E) DX+2 [4]-13; Hazardous Materials/TL (Biological) (A) IQ+1 [4]-13; Hazardous Materials/TL (Chemical) (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Hazardous Materials/TL (Radioactive) (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Knife (E) DX+2 [4]-13; Observation (A) Per-1 [1]-11; Physician/TL (Human) (H) IQ+5 [8]-17†; Poisons/TL (H) IQ-1 [1]-11; Scrounging (E) Per+1 [2]-13; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-12; Surgery/TL (Human) (VH) IQ+4 [8]-16†; Survival (Mountain) (A) Per [2]-12; Throwing (A) DX+1 [4]-12; Weather Sense (A) IQ-1 [1]-11.

* Multiplied for self-control number; see p. B120.
† Includes +4 from Healer.
Looks like a great build. I do have one question, though. Can you give me some insight on how you see Combat Reflexes and Post Combat Shakes interacting? I generally see these as polar opposite things. Can you give me your take on having them both on the same character?
Old 04-30-2016, 02:12 AM   #8
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskrimadorNC View Post
Looks like a great build. I do have one question, though. Can you give me some insight on how you see Combat Reflexes and Post Combat Shakes interacting? I generally see these as polar opposite things. Can you give me your take on having them both on the same character?
Sure. It's not Combat Paralysis, which would be incompatible; he's generally alert, and fine during the action when the adrenalin's flowing, but when the patients are saved and things calm down a bit he may need to go off on his own and throw up, sit and stare blankly into the distance for a few minutes, etc.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post

I highly suggest finding a way to fit a couple of points into Veterinary. The default penalties from Physician are pretty harsh, and being able to take care of animals is going to be VERY useful.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Character first draft:

<snip>

Basic idea is a mountain man who specializes in living off the land and flying under the radar of threats.
Overall it is a very good build, and all of your choices seem to stay within your central theme.

However, I have some concern about these two DisAds:

-Callous
-Loner

My concern about Callous is it doesn't really fit with the general morality of the game. The heroes in this campaign need to be heroic. They need to care about others and be willing to do what's right. There are lots of others in this world that Callous would fit for, but I'm not 100% it would work with the vision I have for this game. If you believe otherwise, convince me? I'm always open to here what you guys have to say.

The other problem is Loner. Even if you pick up the "scout" role for the party, you are going to spend a lot of time with others in the group. You will end up making a lot of self control rolls, and I'm worried that the "bad-temper trigger" will end up causing more problems than it is worth. Again, if you see otherwise, convince me.

I think the rest of your character is great, mechanically sound, capable, and a good addition to the group.

Tags
after the end, ate, post apocalyptic