Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #21
JustAnotherJarhead

Default Re: Boomerang or club?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post

"...The main reasons the boomerang or the lasso/bola guys hasn't dominated the scene is because of lack of knowledge that they were great weapons and the most important, swords and bows are cooler and more of a fantasy cliché. It wasn't their lack of effectiveness that stopped their dominance."
You bring to attention many good observations or points.

Having enjoyed playing a "unusual" character for years, It was fun indeed to be a special weapons user, but... outside of having Arena Fighting advantages in a pure combative role.

It wasn't all roses when adventuring. It was very difficult to build that character from day one, if you could get by with the no armor, lower ST character for a few adventures and not Die, then you had a chance.

But, there were tons of disadvantages: you never found a magical weapon of your type, or even a Fine weapon, when you had your weapons Lost or exhausted, or broken, it wasn't easy to replace them, and you were at a significant disadvantage, especially troublesome if jailed, robbed etc...

It didn't take long for that Eleven archer to make you look bad with his fancy bow, and quiver of never ending magical or finely crafted arrows.

I also wanted to touch on the infamous hobbit sniper. It seems every campaign as endured this pain in the ass, but in my experience they never lasted. to capitalize on the inherent racial advantages and actually make a very high DX sniper, they always sacrificed ST, and almost never wore armor... it was just a matter of time that the orc merc party put him down with a volley of crossbow bolts.
It's not IF you will ever be on the receiving end of a double damage roll, it's a matter of WHEN.

Also, there was an example above of a hobbit/halfling sniper with a war boomerang, not only is it a ST 11 weapon, but it's Large and Heavy, and not even a possibility in a new character.

What I hated above that though, was the hobbit with a GUN. (shakes head)

It took a "greater" creature in the old rules to pull off this boomerang, bola flinging character with enough ST to not die on day one, and although it was fun whipping two boomerangs or bolas at the bad guys, even though my off handed attack rarely landed, I was ALWAYS fighting, there was no rest for the wicked, and not everyone enjoys the company of a Reptile Man in their town, actually nobody does...

In the long run, the elven archer kicked my ass for advancement, and advanced character development.
a point I still hold a grudge to this day... damn elves....chosen SJG love children.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:55 PM   #22
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post
Under Thrown weapons, it says A thrown-weapon attack is treated exactly like a regular attack. And I haven't found any mentions to contradict that. Especially since Missile weapons have their own paragraph with their limitations explicitly stated. So I would say you can. Daggers being the special case since everyone can fight with a dagger in their left hand.
Did you take into account the -4 DX on both attacks? Nowhere does it say that doesn't apply except in Bows and Sha-ken. Nowhere does it say in Boomerang that the rules are different.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #23
hcobb

Clubs do too much damage themselves.

ST 9 one handed club does the same damage as a sword for two fewer talent points.

Fix is to reduce the damages on page 122 by one point then a thrown boomerang does club damage when thrown or used in the hand.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:37 AM   #24
xane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ST 9 one handed club does the same damage as a sword for two fewer talent points.
And 2 lbs extra weight.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #25
Helborn

Sure, but what happens when you get to ST 10? you're still doing the same damage while the swordsman is now 2-2 and it keeps going up with every additional pt of ST while the club goes up 1 damage pt per 2 pts of ST.

AND that's only if you have a fighter. A ST 9 wizard will only do 1-3 with a club...
Old 10-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #26
Nils_Lindeberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Did you take into account the -4 DX on both attacks? Nowhere does it say that doesn't apply except in Bows and Sha-ken. Nowhere does it say in Boomerang that the rules are different.
Sorry for a very late reply. :-)

Yes, normal rules for two-weapon fighting should apply. But it is still an option for high dexterity people that bows and other ranged weapons don't offer in the same way. And if you manage to shift or move around and get an enemy in the back, you do get the +4DX to make it a viable option. The difference between adjDX18 for a double shooting archer and adjDX 18-4 for double throwing boomerangs in an arena setting is not crippling.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote