Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy/DFRPG with just two players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Well, you asked about I Smell a Rat and Hall of Judgement. Certainly you could start lower, but I wouldn’t throw such PCs right into those adventures!

On hirelings, a priest with a vow of not striking a living being, a cowardly thief who is great at traps and locks, a buffing wizard or a line-holding shieldmaiden who basically All-Out-Defends every turn can add a lot to a team while adding little overhead.
The Big Bad in Hall of Judgment is designed to pose a serious threat vs a party of four to six prepared delvers. One power in particular should be turned "off" if you're doing a two-person adventure; it should be fairly obvious which one it is!
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
Almenac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Well, you asked about I Smell a Rat and Hall of Judgement. Certainly you could start lower, but I wouldn’t throw such PCs right into those adventures!
Yes I did, you're right. I did start another thread where I asked specific advice on how to tone ISAR for swash and a cleric:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=165836

But you're completely correct that both adventures seem quite hard for smaller crew.

Quote:
On hirelings, a priest with a vow of not striking a living being, a cowardly thief who is great at traps and locks, a buffing wizard or a line-holding shieldmaiden who basically All-Out-Defends every turn can add a lot to a team while adding little overhead.
Very good ideas, thank you!
Almenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #13
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almenac View Post
I considered henchmen/hirelings, but decided against it. I feel it takes the game into a more boardgamey direction where you're managing an adventuring team instead of playing individual characters.
Shameless self promotion #1 - Hank will mostly hang out in the back unless needed to heel.

Quote:
As such I'm leaning more towards toning down the opposition instead of increasing the number of characters.

Shameless self promotion #2 - Encounter at 10 Crown Caves is a relatively "easy" DF dungeon, especially if you cut the numbers a bit. There are bonus printable battlemaps if you use minis.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote