Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
RobW

Default Knock down attacks

Trying to figure out how to make these a little more consistent.

I'm only talking about the ways to get knocked down by physical attack: injury, shield rush, lasso, whip, bola, net, and UC throw. (Not considering magic: Trip and Slippery Floor; not considering falling during movement: moving quickly over a fallen body and getting pushed by a multi-hex creature.)

First... LASSO.

Currently if your lasso attack to the body is successful (missile-weapon range adjustment, no other DX penalty), the target immediately falls to the ground. This is actually better than Wonder Woman's legendary magical lasso of the goddesses. RAW, can a ST8 DX16 hobbit bring down a charging bear with his lasso? Looks like it...

But to knock someone down with a non-magical lasso requires strength. A cowboy can bring down a young calf because his rope is hitched to his horse. If a cowboy stood in the middle of the rodeo and looped a calf running past at full speed, oh how we'd laugh. Hope you like your dirt fresh, Billy!

If you lassoed a charging bear you would get exactly what you deserve.

For lasso then, I'm thinking make it like Shield Rush. If the attacker is weaker than the target, the target gets 2/DX save, otherwise 3/DX. I'm also thinking that if a save is made, the target can now pull the attacker (same rules), unless the attacker releases the rope.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Knock down attacks

Cowboys have arm vs neck advantage against bulls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLxi125qfw

I've added some notes about continuing the contest after lassoing the target here:

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#Combat
Old 12-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Cowboys have arm vs neck advantage against bulls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLxi125qfw
Hey, that bull didn't fall over after the successful lasso!
Old 12-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
RobW

Quote:
I've added some notes about continuing the contest after lassoing the target here:

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#Combat
If the lasso is around your waist, could you just leave it there while you run up towards your attacker.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
Trying to figure out how to make these a little more consistent.

I'm only talking about the ways to get knocked down by physical attack: injury, shield rush, lasso, whip, bola, net, and UC throw. (Not considering magic: Trip and Slippery Floor; not considering falling during movement: moving quickly over a fallen body and getting pushed by a multi-hex creature.)

First... LASSO.

Currently if your lasso attack to the body is successful (missile-weapon range adjustment, no other DX penalty), the target immediately falls to the ground. This is actually better than Wonder Woman's legendary magical lasso of the goddesses. RAW, can a ST8 DX16 hobbit bring down a charging bear with his lasso? Looks like it...

But to knock someone down with a non-magical lasso requires strength. A cowboy can bring down a young calf because his rope is hitched to his horse. If a cowboy stood in the middle of the rodeo and looped a calf running past at full speed, oh how we'd laugh. Hope you like your dirt fresh, Billy!

If you lassoed a charging bear you would get exactly what you deserve.

For lasso then, I'm thinking make it like Shield Rush. If the attacker is weaker than the target, the target gets 2/DX save, otherwise 3/DX. I'm also thinking that if a save is made, the target can now pull the attacker (same rules), unless the attacker releases the rope.
I'm thinking ignore the verbiage in the rules about the lasso knocking anyone down. They are still bound and unable to do anything but try to break free. Virtually the same effect.

OR

Targeting the legs is as easy as targeting the body with a lasso. Yes, an ST8 hobbit should have no trouble "knocking down" a bear if he lassos his legs together. Yippie Kai Yay, partner! This wasn't the hobbit's first rodeo. This doesn't require a great amount of strength. Just enough to pull the loop closed will make the doggie fall down. However, you better let go before the momentum of the beast knocks you down.

Last edited by platimus; 12-03-2018 at 02:54 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
If the lasso is around your waist, could you just leave it there while you run up towards your attacker.
I'm trying to figure out how that lasso got past the arms.

Note how each toss is made within two yards here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FIFpSGeb0E
Old 12-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #7
platimus

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how that lasso got past the arms.

Your target was a football referee signalling that the field goal attempt was good! LOL
Old 12-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #8
Skarg

Thank you. Good first step. The only think I'd prefer would be a DX roll to avoid being roped at all (or a way to pack that into the same DX roll) because it still has the equal-ease-to-rope-anyone thing, though that's a weakness with nearly all TFT attacks.

It would only especially matter if being roped but not falling had a particular effect, which it strangely doesn't other than falling down for the body. Clearly there should be an effect if the target tries to move further than the rope length. But I'm imagining munchkins on horses or wagons securing lassos, and being happy enough with "just" attaching a lasso because the horse/wagon will keep going full speed ahead and drag along any roped targets. Which is actually an amusing tactic I'd like good rules for ... but I would want the poor targets to have some defense other than hoping the attacker misses their to-hit roll, to avoid the incoming rope. Seems to me someone with hand weapons and/or shields and facing the right way is liable to have a chance not to just be roped like a wooden target.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The only think I'd prefer would be a DX roll to avoid being roped at all (or a way to pack that into the same DX roll) because it still has the equal-ease-to-rope-anyone thing, though that's a weakness with nearly all TFT attacks.
I'm thinking the save indicates that you don't fall, but doesn't say why. It could be you sidestepped or hopped over, or could be the attacker didn't have strength to hold the rope against you. But all else being equal a stronger attacker is more dangerous to you.

But as you say, for these blackhats passing through in their speeding wagon, y'all might need you sum details.

Last edited by RobW; 12-03-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
RobW

Quote:

Ever see Manhunter?

But also makes clear, the target isn't falling unless the horse were to pull against him.