Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
tshiggins

Default Create a setting -- diesel punk awesomeness!

Okay, I think I'd like to try out combo vote/question game to create a diesel-punk setting. Now then, I know one of the problems we run into, with these things, is that lots of times, people have their own campaign styles in mind and then try to skew the answers to that end, regardless of what came, before.

So, I'd like to start with the vote system to establish a very general framework, and then use the question game to fill in the details.

Firstly, let's start with a definition of dieselpunk:

https://dieselpunksencyclopedia.word...ng-dieselpunk/

For the sake of convenience, let's stick to the two definitions dieselpunk style found, there.

Ottensian: This style of steampunk focuses mostly on the hopeful future envisioned by those who considered WWI as the "War to End All Wars," and saw the development of ever-more powerful machinery as a way to usefully address human suffering. This is steampunk reflects the hopeful tone of the Roaring Twenties and, while it may include villains such as science pirates, for the most part the world is steadily moving forward.

Examples:
The Rocketeer
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Piecraftian: Steampunk of this sort is darker, cynical and more inhuman, as informed by the dehumanization of the Great Depression, and the death and suffering of WWII. Machines are recognized as key to industrial-scale slaughter and violence can be endemic, as tyrants and master villains use powerful machinery to enhance their horrific capabilities. The key, here, is to retain one's humanity and one's ideals, and try to find way to use the machines to serve people instead of grind them to hamburger.

Examples:
Metropolis -- the perfect and most sublime example
Crimson Skies
Captain America: The First Avenger
Brazil
Mad Max

EDIT: John Dallman made in interesting suggestion, in the post just below this one, so let's add that as a third option!

So, do we want an Ottensian (more optimistic) dieselpunk setting, a Piecraftian (darkly violent) one, or a "Dallmanian" setting, which has been and currently seems to be optimistically "Ottensian," but which includes secret organizations attempting undermine the fairly humane order so as to sieze control in the name of their own "Piecraftian" designs?

Also, here are some examples of dieselpunk style and imagery:

https://www.pinterest.com/poniroulis...selpunk-style/
http://photobucket.com/images/dieselpunk

I'll tally up the votes at the end of the business day, Pacific Time, tomorrow.

Last edited by tshiggins; 03-27-2017 at 01:22 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dieselpunk