Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Johnny Angel

Default Pretty Orcs

While working on a character, the thought came to me that I'm not sure how to imagine that certain things look. In particular, I'm at something of a loss when it comes to imagining how a character who defies the racial norm would look. This particular character was an Orc with the 'attractive' advantage.... or so that's what I'm considering. Using the 'impressive' looks modifier seems like it would work, but I'm still left trying to imagine a handsome or a pretty orc. Most depictions of them are unattractive. So, I figured I'd ask the community: how would you imagine a pretty orc?

Likewise, what about an ugly elf? Surely there's the rare outcast with bad genetics or a harsh life which would be considered ugly even by human standards, but it's difficult for me to imagine what an ugly elf would look like for the same reason I have trouble imagining a good looking orc.

Are there things which you have trouble envisioning in your head?
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
jason taylor

Default Re: Pretty Orcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
While working on a character, the thought came to me that I'm not sure how to imagine that certain things look. In particular, I'm at something of a loss when it comes to imagining how a character who defies the racial norm would look. This particular character was an Orc with the 'attractive' advantage.... or so that's what I'm considering. Using the 'impressive' looks modifier seems like it would work, but I'm still left trying to imagine a handsome or a pretty orc. Most depictions of them are unattractive. So, I figured I'd ask the community: how would you imagine a pretty orc?

Likewise, what about an ugly elf? Surely there's the rare outcast with bad genetics or a harsh life which would be considered ugly even by human standards, but it's difficult for me to imagine what an ugly elf wYould look like for the same reason I have trouble imagining a good looking orc.

Well I can imagine a battle scared elf but not a pretty orc.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Well, a pret'ey Ork would haff to 'ave a nice, shiny skin, and 'iz hue would haff to be deep and consistent. He'd haff to 'ave a 'uge jaw bristlin' wiff teef, an' none of 'em would be broke. 'E'd be made entirely outta muscle. 'E'd haff to dress is red armor, cuz, well, red makes ya go fasta! 'E'd prolly be carrin' some big dakka.

But, 'dere's no girly-type orks for 'em to impress. Da boyz all reproduce by spores. So, bein' a pret'ey ork is like bein' a smart snotlin': ya can do it, but why?
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Ronnke

I'm guessing something like the picture in the below link.

http://www.ooze.com.br/wp-content/up...n-meio-orc.jpg
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post

Likewise, what about an ugly elf? Surely there's the rare outcast with bad genetics or a harsh life which would be considered ugly even by human standards, but it's difficult for me to imagine what an ugly elf would look like for the same reason I have trouble imagining a good looking orc.

Two words;

Miss Piggy
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
Stripe

I can imagine an ugly Tolkien/D&D elf without much trouble, but, yeah, an attractive Tolkien/D&D orc is a bit tougher to picture.

For the elf, just imagine any ugly human and add pointy ears. You can't tell me Hugo Weaving (Elrond in the LotR movies) is really all that good looking. ;) Average at best, unattractive at worst.

As pointed out with the elf, he may not have been born ugly; battle scars and what not could have changed his appearance. Burns to the face come to mind.

Biologically, I don't think the orc has much chance of being Attractive, but Google image search came up with a few examples (mainly of females or half-orcs)...
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
Inquisitive Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Basic Set: Characters
Reaction modifiers due to appearance only affect members of your own race, a very similar race, or a dissimilar race that finds your race attractive (for whatever reason).
Note above. So, your orc is pretty by orc standards, which may or may not have anything to do with human standards. The trick then is to figure out what orc standards are.

Well, species universals tend to be markers of good health. So, symmetry of form is good. Now, I'm not sure in general, but Shadowrun orks have tusks protruding from their lower jaws. Humans undoubtedly do not find these attractive, but orks probably appreciate a well matched pair in a certain size range. For a species (or subspecies in Shadowrun) that values combat capability, overall size is probably a major component of attractiveness. They're sapient bipeds and, I'm assuming, mammalian, so a good looking female should have wide hips.

I'll leave it to others to figure it out from there.
Inquisitive Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
hari

Motivational poster about pretty orcs:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=42&ty=71

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post

For the elf, just imagine any ugly human and add pointy ears. You can't tell me Hugo Weaving (Elrond in the LotR movies) is really all that good looking. ;) Average at best, unattractive at worst.
)...
Elrond -to me- looked borderline scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive Raven View Post
Note above. So, your orc is pretty by orc standards, which may or may not have anything to do with human standards. The trick then is to figure out what orc standards are.

Well, species universals tend to be markers of good health. So, symmetry of form is good. Now, I'm not sure in general, but Shadowrun orks have tusks protruding from their lower jaws. Humans undoubtedly do not find these attractive, but orks probably appreciate a well matched pair in a certain size range. For a species (or subspecies in Shadowrun) that values combat capability, overall size is probably a major component of attractiveness. They're sapient bipeds and, I'm assuming, mammalian, so a good looking female should have wide hips.

I'll leave it to others to figure it out from there.

I suppose part of the question is whether or not humans and orcs are a similar species. I tend to agree that orc beauty would be measured quite differently than human beauty. However, being that the two races can reproduce, it makes you wonder how similar they are considered to be... which I supposed would be a question that would heavily depend upon the setting. For this discussion, I'm thinking mainly of Tolkien, Banestorm, or D&D style Orcs.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #10
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Well I can imagine a battle scared elf but not a pretty orc.
There's an Orc who thinks she's pretty. Miss Piggy! And if she invites you to comfirm her opinion of her looks, your health is better if you just agree.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appearance, ideas to share, random thought table