Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2015, 01:55 AM   #71
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Ultra-Tech/Fantasy] The One Ring Invisibility vs. TL9 Hyperspectral Goggles?

"Magic must defeat magic." Uncle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qLC_ptImo
Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #72
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: [Ultra-Tech/Fantasy] The One Ring Invisibility vs. TL9 Hyperspectral Goggles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Of course, it might just be that Mount Doom is the hottest lava in Middle Earth, and that is exactly why Sauron chose to forge the ring there. Yeah, hard to say based on the textual evidence.

At TL 9, you could at least throw it in to the sun. Even if this didn't destroy it, it should make it forever inaccessible.
My first thought was, 'yeah', but then it struck me that I could almost hear Gandalf address that, in terms similar to what he said about throwing it into the ocean.

"Not inaccessible forever. The matter in the depths of the star now may be spread across the galaxy when the star sheds its outer layers. Perhaps the Ring would end trapped within the degenerate matter of a white dwarf... or perhaps it would be cast forth into space to be found anew."

Quote:

My physics sense says that once you can tear apart any chemical bonds, you can eventually ablate away anything made of matter. So you could slowly chew away at the ring's material substance with a femptosecond laser or somesuch (or rapidly evaporate it with a nuclear detonation, or mangle it beyond recognition with a shaped charge jet). Does the ring then reassemble itself atom by atom, collecting its dispersed vapors from far and wide? Wait - if it does that, forget dominating the will of men; use it to reverse entropy and build really amazing heat engines!
That strikes the same issues as why the Ring can't be melted in a smith's forge. Or why you can't beat it into other shapes with a hammer (gold is not known for its rigidity, either). Melting point and resistance to deformation are also functions of interacting electrons.

My guess is that the power within the Ring binds it together, beyond the binding strength of the electrons. You'd have to overwhelm that power, not just break the electron bonds. What it would take to overcome that inner power by raw force we simply do not know. Until you overcome that power, I don't think the electron bonds even matter.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:22 AM   #73
Anders

You could throw it into a black hole.Although then you would get evil Hawking radiation. Sauron radiation?

Last edited by Anders; 10-03-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #74
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
You could throw it into a black hole.Although then you would get evil Hawking radiation. Sauron radiation?
It would probably get through and come out the other side while your mincemeat's mincemeat is still being torn to mincemeat by the gravity.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #75
Stormcrow

Tossing the Ring into a star to hide it also doesn't solve the problem of Sauron having massed enough orcs, Southrons, and Easterlings to conquer the West without the Ring anyway.

Your choices are:
  1. keep it safe and be conquered by Sauron,
  2. use it and be conquered by whoever defeats Sauron with it, or
  3. destroy it.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #76
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
A sentient black hole that influences intelligent beings to worship it and form tyrannical societies...
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #77
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
A sentient black hole that influences intelligent beings to worship it and form tyrannical societies...
We may have a sequel here. Contact Peter Jackson!
Old 10-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #78
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Blackholes are an entrance into the void. Guess who was banished to the void? Melkor, the ORIGINAL gangsta of middle earth.

Yeah, Thanks. You just brought back Melkor.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #79
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
That was a new Doctor Who episode. Seirously, that description fits better than the in story explanation.
(The characters showed a horribly flawed understanding of black holes.)
Old 10-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #80
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
It would probably get through and come out the other side while your mincemeat's mincemeat is still being torn to mincemeat by the gravity.
What other side? I thought we were assuming a TL 9 society in a reality similar to ours.

Tags
infinite worlds, lotr, merp, ultra-tech