Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
explodotron

Default Need help explaining "Cursed Thingy" & "Tiny Hands"

Short back story first. I was playing a game of Munchkin recently with our newly purchased Unnatural Axe expansion, and one of the other players kicked down a door and got the curse Tiny Hands, which basically says that you can't carry any big items anymore. They claimed that since they didn't have any big items at the time, it didn't apply to them and they could ignore it. From my understanding, the card is not affecting the item, but rather the player (giving them hands to small to carry big items), so it did apply to them and they would be cursed with Tiny Hands until they could remove it by some means.

Now here is where I need some help...

A turn later, that same player used the curse Cursed Thingy against me. Now this was early in the game and I didn't have any items either in play or in my hand. So I explained that this curse couldn't apply to me since it says on the card that it applies to an item, to which I had none. They got mad because they felt since Tiny Hands applied to them when they didn't have and big items, that Cursed Thingy should apply to me when I didn't have any items, that I was cheating somehow, and quit playing the game because of it.

Can anyone let me know if my understanding of these 2 curses is correct. And if anyone has any suggestions as far as explaining the difference other than the way I tried to explain.

Thanks!
explodotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Need help explaining "Cursed Thingy" & "Tiny Hands"

Well, Curse! Tiny Hands affects the person it was played on. It says that the victim cannot carry (i.e., have in play) any Item that requires more than one Hand (it says nothing about Big Items whatsoever). Very specifically, the first word describing the effect is "You."

Curse! Cursed Thingy affects an Item, and if the victim has no Items in play, the Curse has nothing to which its effect could be applied. The first two words of the effect text are "One item." Since it doesn't specify who gets to select which Item is Cursed, that means the victim chooses which Item, so long as it meets the criteria described on the card.

Secondly: Neither of these Curses affects Item cards in your hand. Item cards in your hand aren't Items, they're just cards in your hand, and won't be affected by anything that doesn't specifically say they affect your hand.

So, I'll repeat: The difference is in the target. Since you had no Items in play, Curse! Cursed Thingy couldn't affect you because the effect is on one of your Items. However, since Curse! Tiny Hands affects a player, your friend was unable to avoid the effect and would continue to be unable to have multi-Hand Items in play until the Curse was removed.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
explodotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
...So, I'll repeat: The difference is in the target...
The difference in the target is a great way to explain the difference!!

Thank you so much for your quick reply.
explodotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
evikour

Does the Curse!Cursed Thingy card goes to discards if the player has no item in play at the time or does it stay in effect for a next round where the player might get an item and put it in play to affect it?
evikour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evikour View Post
Does the Curse!Cursed Thingy card goes to discards if the player has no item in play at the time or does it stay in effect for a next round where the player might get an item and put it in play to affect it?
If there is no Item to be the target of the Curse, it fizzles; discard it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evikour View Post
Since the Curse affects an Item, if there is no Item to affect, the Curse can have no effect and therefore must be discarded.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:38 AM   #7
Moldon

I have 2-handed Item cursed by Cursed Thingy and then I hit by Tiny Hands.
I discard cursed 2-handen item?

Last edited by Moldon; 10-27-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Moldon is offline   Reply With Quote