Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Scenarios

Old 11-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Casey Joneskii

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
As a general rule, trains can slow down much faster than they can speed up. Perhaps we need to adjust the rules and allow trains to slow down by 2 steps rather than just 1? It still requires 2 hexes to stop (6/7 -> 2/3, move 2, then 2/3 -> 0/1 and stopped), but that's much more realistic.

OTOH, forcing you to slow down earlier and take 6 hexes to stop adds to the strategy and tension, but not having actually played a train scenario other than the new nightfall one, I'm not sure how much that really adds...
It adds a lot, actually. In The Train, that's the whole point; you can enter the map at full speed, but it makes it much more likely you will be destroyed by running off the rails because you can't stop in time. But going slower isn't any good, either, because it gives the attackers more time to get to the train. It's basically a race to the edge.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
It adds a lot, actually. In The Train, that's the whole point; you can enter the map at full speed, but it makes it much more likely you will be destroyed by running off the rails because you can't stop in time. But going slower isn't any good, either, because it gives the attackers more time to get to the train. It's basically a race to the edge.
Hmm... another case of realism and gameplay banging up against each other. :)

The only other option for changing anything would be to allow slowing down 2 steps but requiring a roll, and having the train be destroyed if it fails the roll. But that's more complex than the current mechanic, and so probably not a great idea either.

Oh well, KISS realism goodbye for this one - the current rule has lasted a long time, so I say just keep it as is. :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Again, the train doesn't occupy the entire hex and events don't last the entirety of a turn. It could stop within the first few meters of the hex within the first few seconds.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
Mack_JB

While we're complaining, the real life Casey Jones is the original poster child for corporate spin. "Hey, let's make a hero of the guy who actually caused the accident, so it makes it seem like he saved lives, and we don't get in trouble".

I much prefer the tale of the "Mexican Casey Jones", Jesús Garcia, who saved the town of Nacozari, Sonora, from a car full of dynamite that was on fire.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #15
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

I learned a long time ago that Ogre is just a game and was never intended to model real life. It's just a fun game about blowing stuff up under really bad conditions.

When you try to apply reality to it, it usually causes more problems than it fixes. I honestly never cared one bit about scale, or the "real" size of the hexes, or the "real" time for a turn. None of that matters; just play the game and have fun blowing stuff up.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
Dan-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Hmm... another case of realism and gameplay banging up against each other. :)

The only other option for changing anything would be to allow slowing down 2 steps but requiring a roll, and having the train be destroyed if it fails the roll. But that's more complex than the current mechanic, and so probably not a great idea either.

Oh well, KISS realism goodbye for this one - the current rule has lasted a long time, so I say just keep it as is. :)
The Casey Joneskii scenario is different that The Train scenario, in that in The Train, all it has to do is get off the opposite side at any speed. In Casey Joneskii, it has to arrive at a destination on the map. The easiest way to play it is the train can be going any speed when it reaches the station.
Dan-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-C View Post
The Casey Joneskii scenario is different that The Train scenario, in that in The Train, all it has to do is get off the opposite side at any speed. In Casey Joneskii, it has to arrive at a destination on the map. The easiest way to play it is the train can be going any speed when it reaches the station.
Even if you play it that way, it can't overshoot the target hex. It needs to stop when it reaches the end of the rail, and the only mechanic that exists in the game for stopping is to set the speed to 0/1. There's no way to do that if you hit the town at 6/7
Old 12-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #18
Dave Crowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I learned a long time ago that Ogre is just a game and was never intended to model real life. It's just a fun game about blowing stuff up under really bad conditions.

When you try to apply reality to it, it usually causes more problems than it fixes. I honestly never cared one bit about scale, or the "real" size of the hexes, or the "real" time for a turn. None of that matters; just play the game and have fun blowing stuff up.
the hexes on the GEV map have always felt "bigger" to me than the ones on the Ogre map, despite the identical game play mechanics, excepting stacking and overruns.

For me too Ogre/GEV is a game about blowing stuff up, not a realistic simulation of future warfare.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #19
Dave Crowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-C View Post
In the Casey Joneskii scenario, how fast can the train be travelling when it reaches the end point? Does it need to slow down to a certain speed?
The scenario victory conditions say that "The defender wins if the train reaches hex S1-0413 and survives." (emphasis mine). The train is allowed to escape off the east edge of the map, but cannot reverse off the west edge. This implies to me that the train can, if the track is intact, continue straight on through hex S1-0413 and off the edge of the map for a defender victory.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #20
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
The scenario victory conditions say that "The defender wins if the train reaches hex S1-0413 and survives." (emphasis mine). The train is allowed to escape off the east edge of the map, but cannot reverse off the west edge. This implies to me that the train can, if the track is intact, continue straight on through hex S1-0413 and off the edge of the map for a defender victory.
Umm... The crux of the problem is the track dead-ends at S1-0413. The "escape off the east edge of the map" refers to the fact it can abort going to S1-0413 and take the left fork at the switch at S1-1107 and run away.

There is no track to "continue through the hex"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0413.jpg (95.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by GranitePenguin; 12-02-2017 at 07:50 PM.
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote