Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Newbie GM needs to understand Magic - Resurrection costs 300 points to cast?

So a 150 point Power Temple needs to cost 3.8 million.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #32
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Newbie GM needs to understand Magic - Resurrection costs 300 points to cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
So a 150 point Power Temple needs to cost 3.8 million.
(Checks drafts of Low-Tech Companions...)

Not a bad ballpark figure for a large church.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #33
Anthony

I'd probably change the formula for immobile sites of power, anyway.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #34
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Aha! That's bang on, when you include "round to two significant digits", which beyond PI 1 seems to be Kromm's rule. Perfect! (adds it to the PowerToy calculator).

Which suggests 160 000 000 for a 270 energy power item. Egads.
It is still well with in the range of a major religious temple. How many billion was a pyramid worth anyway?
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #35
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That's a good idea. At least for an immobile site in a particularly appropriate/auspicious location, or made from particularly appropriate materials, or whatever - but just the fact that it's potentially a building seems a good reason.

Buildings are harder to protect from the elements and cost more for upkeep because of that (never mind are really hard to hide from people that might want to steal valuable fittings from it). Hm...

Possibly the simplest way to have a significant impact on cost is to alter the constant of the second term from 10 to something smaller. 5, 2, and 1 produce increasingly radical results.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #36
blacksmith

Quote:
To make them better or worse?
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Which suggests 160 000 000 for a 270 energy power item. Egads.
You don't need 270 to cast resurrection on a PC. Assuming a High Priest with 20 FP in HT+Extra FP+ER, a half dozen or so acolytes averaging 10 each, a PC Cleric with 15, and a lay congregation of 50 or so. You'll only need 150-ish. Also it's Very High Sanctity, so all that FP is restored at the end of the casting.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #38
Anthony

Quote:
Possibly the simplest way to have a significant impact on cost is to alter the constant of the second term from 10 to something smaller. 5, 2, and 1 produce increasingly radical results.
I'd probably actually divide the building's strength by some constant (i.e. a 200 point power source building costs the same as a 100 point conventional source). In general, the difference between 'portable' and 'not portable' is huge.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #39
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I'd probably actually divide the building's strength by some constant (i.e. a 200 point power source building costs the same as a 100 point conventional source). In general, the difference between 'portable' and 'not portable' is huge.
Don't you want to discourage the ownership of stationary property in a DF game though?
Old 03-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #40
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Don't you want to discourage the ownership of stationary property in a DF game though?
Why do I care if the PCs have some stationary chunk of property? It's not like there's going to be dungeons conveniently near that chunk of property, so it's just a waste of money most of the time.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, magic