Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #151
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Newbie GM needs to understand Magic - Resurrection costs 300 points to cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Huh. It doesn't seem meta-gamey to me at all. Enchanters can imbue items with power...or said in another way, they can make an object able to gather and store ambient magical/holy energy. They can do this with any number of objects. This is a reality of the universe. When casting spells they can draw from their own energy, or from energy stored in these items. The items that can draw and store energy must be valuable. An altar is valuable and priests often need to draw on much larger stores of energy than they can carry in their body. So, in a religious context, a group of priests pray to god for a number of days to bless their altar in order to make it a font of holy energy. After the long drawn out ceremony the altar is imbued with the power of god, which the priests then channel when healing, ressurecting, or blessing crops.

What's meta-gamey about that?
It's basically turning your deity of choice into a magic cow which you milk for energy, YMMV, but to me it's metagamey though it can be completely appropriate for a DF or an "Order of the Stick" type game which frequently break the 4th wall and are intentionally metagamey.

I'd also likely consider that type of energy setup to be at the very least a Magic TL of +2 or +3
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #152
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Newbie GM needs to understand Magic - Resurrection costs 300 points to cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
It's basically turning your deity of choice into a magic cow which you milk for energy, YMMV, but to me it's metagamey though it can be completely appropriate for a DF or an "Order of the Stick" type game which frequently break the 4th wall and are intentionally metagamey.

I'd also likely consider that type of energy setup to be at the very least a Magic TL of +2 or +3
Not really milking the god at all, milking the congregation maybe but not the god. Especially combined with clerics built along this line:

Advantages: Modular Abilities: Divine Inspiration (15 points) (Pact -50%, Physical +100%, Requires Reaction Roll -5%, Trigger: Hold Holy symbol -20%)[83]; Signature Gear (Holy Symbol) [1] True Faith (Turning +65%) [25]

Disadvantages: Fanaticism (Put the Undead to Rest)* [-15]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents)* [-10]; Sense of Duty (Innocents)* [-10]; Vow (Never refuse a request for aid)* [-15];

Skills: Religious Ritual.

Divine Inspiration is used for paying for spells (prerequisites ignored) And Advantages from the Cleric's God, the Reaction Roll is based on Man Proposes, God Disposes (p148) in GURPS Fantasy

Divine Inspiration, is 6 points base then +4 for ever point it provides (15 in this case) [GURPS Powers p.63]

This way nothing can be cast without the god's blessing, and in line with it's goals
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, magic