Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-26-2016, 02:41 AM   #41
weby

Default Re: How to fight mages as a TL 7 character?

If you have trouble fighting a mage with TL 7 equipment, you are not using enough explosives so use more!!! :)
Old 11-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #42
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
High-Tech page 156 says other wise Targeting Lasers (TL7), that's what I'm talking about using
Fair enough. I was looking at Laser Dazzlers on p. 181. Only the Primitive Laser Sight is TL7 (the rest are TL8), but that's all it takes.
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #43
Kale

Poison gas. Unless they're an air mage with purify air they won't know what to do about it.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #44
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Poison gas. Unless they're an air mage with purify air they won't know what to do about it.
Heck, if you pop in some Sarin, he probably won't even know anything's happened until he's already dead.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #45
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
I thought about long distance rifles but reverse missiles worriers me. One of my goals in this world is to assassinate it's arch-mage.
You really need to get a GM ruling on what counts as a missile. There are quite a few interpretations out there which exclude stuff like unintentional fragments, falling objects, liquid jets, and/or active guidance (and there are TL7 semi-portable wire guided missiles).

Really though, his magic probably isn't your biggest hurdle. If this guy is actually the *world's* arch-mage, and not just some unimportant random magician, he's presumably guarded at least as well as other world leaders, and there's a reason assassinating world leaders is something that doesn't happen much.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #46
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

It was a TL6 answer. Should work fine vs a TL5 mage.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:48 AM   #47
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
You really need to get a GM ruling on what counts as a missile. There are quite a few interpretations out there which exclude stuff like unintentional fragments, falling objects, liquid jets, and/or active guidance (and there are TL7 semi-portable wire guided missiles).

Really though, his magic probably isn't your biggest hurdle. If this guy is actually the *world's* arch-mage, and not just some unimportant random magician, he's presumably guarded at least as well as other world leaders, and there's a reason assassinating world leaders is something that doesn't happen much.
Its a relatively small disk world, so being the "world's" arch-mage is not to big a thing I guess, and i'm not to worried about whatever mooks hes got guarding him. though there are some other people that might be around him I am a little worried about, two of them I'm also supposed to kill. They aren't mages but have some other weird powers i'm not even clear on. While I'm fairly sure if I defeat all of the arch-mages magical defenses he will be physically easy to kill, not so sure about the other two. GM said they where both more monster then man.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:56 AM   #48
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
It was a TL6 answer. Should work fine vs a TL5 mage.
The Capital city that the guy basically never leaves has some sort of magical (plot) defense that will prevent a nuclear detonation. Otherwise I would just sneak in leave a nuke,and basically all of my goals for this adventure would be complete just like that. One thought was to leave a whole F-ton of nukes and see if the defense was completely fool proof, but im worried my GM would be very not amused.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:12 AM   #49
Anthony

The thing about GURPS Magic is that it has spells for just about every contingency, but it's generally not practical to know them all, let alone have them all active, so it really boils down to research -- what does this magician use. Absent such research, best choice is generally to choose a wide variety of stuff and hope something sticks, and generally try to use attacks that give little if any warning.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #50
starslayer

I had another few thoughts- what are the limitations on your snatching ability?

If you can snatch at exceptional range '1g of sand from an antimatter dimension' will basically end, well, everything.

You could also leverage a lack of understanding.

Snatching 100kg of cesium and dressing it up like a useful thing to have will result in some widespread destruction once someone takes it out of the oil bath it will have to be floating in. Figuring out how to have that take place near the arcmage will be a challenge, but a sufficiently advanced lock and heavily reinforced casing will mean that some sort of magic will be a much easier way to open it then TL5 tools.

Similarly summoning up some near-critical materials in a lead box could be useful. Whoever opens the box gets a leathal dose of radiation- figuring out how to make sure the arcmage opens the box instead of his minons might be difficult.

Snatching something that is useful to an arcmage, but also deadly, is another good option; having a staff of '+3 to magery' is going to interest anyone who does magic. If that staff also happens to be made of polonium...
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, mages, magic, tl 7, vehicles