Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Lucian

Default Stat rocky balboa

I'm watching rocky 3

Watching him take a beating from clubber lang lol

And wondering what stats and advantages/disadvantages does this guy have.

What do you think

E-mail me if you have questions enniya.questions@gmail.com
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Stat rocky balboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
I'm watching rocky 3

Watching him take a beating from clubber lang lol

And wondering what stats and advantages/disadvantages does this guy have.

What do you think
I think boxing (the sport) and Gurps don't mix very well. Things like "punch stats" and other metrics used in the Real world indicate hundreds of effective blows and in Gurps they have to do 0 real damage at least 90% and probably 95% of the time.

If I was to really take swing at this I might multiple Gurps lethal HP into 10 to 20x boxing HP. There would turn into lethal HP when they made up groups of 10 or 20 as appropriate. You'd probably have to re-scale damage slightly to make it all fit together.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
JoelSammallahti

Supernatural Durability, for starters...

More realistically? I think by the end of Rocky I he has ST 13, DX 12, IQ 9, HT 13; Fit, High Pain Threshold and a level or two of Hard to Subdue; Boxing-14 and Running-14. Not a lot of techniques as far as I can tell, but the Focused Fury perk seems to match those huge hooks he throws. Buying up any combination of Will, HP, FP and Basic Speed is not out of the question.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I think boxing (the sport) and Gurps don't mix very well. Things like "punch stats" and other metrics used in the Real world indicate hundreds of effective blows and in Gurps they have to do 0 real damage at least 90% and probably 95% of the time.

If I was to really take swing at this I might multiple Gurps lethal HP into 10 to 20x boxing HP. There would turn into lethal HP when they made up groups of 10 or 20 as appropriate. You'd probably have to re-scale damage slightly to make it all fit together.
IT:DR helps a lot here.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
Purple Haze

There is a skill in taking a punch. Reducing the damage to negligible.

On several occasions Muhammed Ali dropped his guard and let his opponent hit him in the head, to demoralize the opponent, to show that the opponent's great effort did not matter.

Marvin Hagler did it to Sugar Ray Leonard. Leonard won the fight on points, but Hagler made it clear that Leonard could not hurt him, while he could hurt Leonard.

A lot of boxing damage should be FP not HP too. That is most of the point of body blows.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
Phantasm

Don't forget that boxing gloves are actually designed to reduce the felt blow from a punch, not add to it. This makes modern boxing less lethal than the bare-knuckle boxing from the 19th and early 20th century that preceded it.

Rocky's style seems to be "stay on All-Out Defense (dedicated) while occasionally tossing a few Defensive Attacks (aka jabs) for the first half of the match, then when his opponent is starting to tire out follow up with Attacks and Committed Attacks (Strong)". He almost never - except at the start of Rocky III when he's clearly been coddled for the last dozen fights - drops his defense entirely, so no All-Out Attacks.

This is most apparent in Rocky IV, where his opponent (Dolph Lundgren) was being trained to "hit fast, hit hard, and end the fight quickly". Even in his second fight against Mr. T in III he seems to focus on wearing down his opponent before wailing away with his harder attacks. I believe this is how he fought in Rocky II as well.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
IT:DR helps a lot here.
What UB do you charge for buying this Exotic Advantage?

You'll also have to be quite specific in applying Limitations to it to keep boxers from being immune to being hit by cars.

I'd rather have a more general rules fix instead of making some people special.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

DR (Limited, Crushing, -40%; Tough Skin, -40%) 2 [2]

And maybe: Special Exercises (DR 2, Crushing, -40%; Tough Skin, -40%) [1]
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post

Why not just say that boxing gloves reduce damage by -2 or -1/die (or even -4 and -2/die)?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #10
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Why not just say that boxing gloves reduce damage by -2 or -1/die (or even -4 and -2/die)?
Martial Arts page 233:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing Gloves
Regular boxing gloves are mitten-like, completely enclosing the fingers and thumb. They give DR 2 vs. crushing (DR 1 vs. other damage) and -2 to punching damage. The wearer has Bad Grip 3 (p. B123) for all purposes. $40, 1 lb. (pair).
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote