Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Spudzill

Default What are the point values,really?

I noticed a possible glitch. In 4e basic it states that a Seal is a 75 point char. But in the pdf. Seals in Vietnam it makes a Seal a 243 point character. Which is it?
Old 05-16-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: What are the point values,really?

The Basic Set says that a SEAL is a 100- to 200-point character; see p. B487. While 243 > 200, the disparity isn't particularly huge.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Spudzill

I seem to recall( I don't recall the exact pg number ) but, I look at the suggested point values it states: Less than 25 feeble characters, children, old people, the handicapped;25 pts. Ordinary folks, Cab Drivers, Accountants;50 pts Competent, Cops,Athletes,etc anyone who has an edge over the average person;75 pts Expert These are people who could be heroic with a little seasoning Seasoned Cops,Navy Seals, Star Athletes;100 pts Lowest reasonable point cost for heroic characters. It was in the front part of the book, IIRC.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudzill
I seem to recall( I don't recall the exact pg number ) but, I look at the suggested point values it states: Less than 25 feeble characters, children, old people, the handicapped;25 pts. Ordinary folks, Cab Drivers, Accountants;50 pts Competent, Cops,Athletes,etc anyone who has an edge over the average person;75 pts Expert These are people who could be heroic with a little seasoning Seasoned Cops,Navy Seals, Star Athletes;100 pts Lowest reasonable point cost for heroic characters. It was in the front part of the book, IIRC.
The section you're recalling here is the one that Kromm is quoting on p. B487, and the SEALs are in the 100 - 200 pt range. They're also in that range in GURPS Lite on p. 4.

Overall though, I'm impressed by your memory!

Graham
Old 05-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Anaraxes

Is that the realistic NPC SEAL, or the cinematic action-movie Black Ops PC SEAL? Character point costs are relative guidelines.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes
Is that the realistic NPC SEAL, or the cinematic action-movie Black Ops PC SEAL? Character point costs are relative guidelines.
Actually its for GURPS Bestiary. :)
Old 05-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
Spudzill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
The section you're recalling here is the one that Kromm is quoting on p. B487, and the SEALs are in the 100 - 200 pt range. They're also in that range in GURPS Lite on p. 4.

Overall though, I'm impressed by your memory!

Graham
Oh, my bad. Sorry. :)
Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes
Realistic SEALs, I'd say. It's not so much how many points, but how you use them that defines if it's realistic or cinematic.
I've seen characters up to 300 points that pass as realistic. Specially special operations military. These types focus on traits valued by adventurers, and thus have a higher value in GURPS, they also have a great variety of skills and techniques, a lot of hard, under pressure training, they're selected from the most talented people, etc...

Point values are a guage of how useful a particular advantage, trait, level of skill... is to an adventure in general. Point value total of your character represents your general use as an adventurer.

This, ofcourse, can vary a lot depending on the type of adventure. I pressuposes a more or less even distribution between physical, mental and social adventure aspects. If the GM is biased, so become the points. If he focuses solely on combat, your social advantages will become marginal and pretty much useless, instead of the fighter shinning in combat and you shinning in court.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
nik1979

I concur with Gudiomen, how you use them matters a lot. Also, what doesnt seem to get much notice is the character's background. Elite Units, are a combination of natural physical endowments (11-13), serious training (+1 to +2), and continuous opportunity to refine, hone and practice these abilities IMO.

Although, I would like to know the points from disads. Lately I've ignored the disads limit but neither gave points for it as a part of examining player psychology and to speed up character creation. I find "raw"150cp in the capable category. I've been talking to some friends about our military academy's aptitude standards and find the top of the class going for raw 200 and many are 250cp because of their family's social position.

I find the difference between the Top of the class and the best of the best- not a difference of points but a difference of internal synergy (background + natural + motive + career + personal life all synergistic).
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
Exeter

I'd like to add my agreement to Gudiomen's post. A realistic college math professor is going to cost a lot fewer points than a realistic ex-special forces karateka-type guy, because chances are, in most typical RPG situations, the ex-military guy is going to be more useful. That isn't to say there won't be situations where it would be handy to have someone around with high levels of skill in Mathematics, Research, Teaching, and other such skills, but those situations are going to be both more rare and more focused than situations where having the other guy around is going to be useful.
Exeter is offline   Reply With Quote