Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Wild Bill

Default Your Creative Energies: Template Titles for Urban Fantasy Game

GURPS Maniacs All,

I am preparing an urban fantasy game, and I am well prepared, as I have caught up on my Jim Butcher, Simon R. Green, Thomas E. Sniegoski et al. However, in my rush of grading student papers and working on my prospectus for my dissertation, my brain is collapsing. Thus, I ask you all for some suggestions of templates for the game. Please, if you don't want to build templates, that's not what I am asking, although, if you want to, feel free :D.

I have three basics:

Wizard P.I.
Medium Police Auxilary
Blessed Special Department Dective

Please feel free to be creative. I own every GURPS 4th ed. book in print and 90% of the 3rd ed. material, so if you can think, I can make it.

And thanks ahead of time for your help. I look forward to reading all of your suggestions :D.

J.

P.S. I would be really interested to see if anyone can think of a great Martial Arts inspired character.

And I should add the the point max is around 250.
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Frost

Default Re: Your Creative Energies: Template Titles for Urban Fantasy Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
Thus, I ask you all for some suggestions of templates for the game. I have three basics:

Wizard P.I.
Medium Police Auxilary
Blessed Special Department Dective.
Definitely a good start, though at the risk of making more work all three are interchaingeable it might be worth creating Wizard etc as templates in their own right based upon your conception of how the various powers work and then treating the professional options as lenses.

I don't know if it would realy require a template as such (unless you are making them mandatory) but I would like to suggest the Emissary of an occult or conspiritorial power. Green's nightside books are full of them but Walker is possibly the best example.

A combination of patron, (involentary)duty and one or more powers with a pact limitation governing their use, tied to those of the patron would be a good start. For the likes of Walker reputation or social reguard would not be out of place either.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Depending on how your mind runs, a couple of nonmagical ones would be Traceur (that is, an exponent of Parkour) and Urban Explorer (someone who's an expert on abandoned buildings, sewers, subway tunnels, and other "off-limits" locations). The former might even meet your martial-arts needs – and probably should, on 250 points!
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost
Definitely a good start, though at the risk of making more work all three are interchangeable it might be worth creating Wizard etc as templates in their own right based upon your conception of how the various powers work and then treating the professional options as lenses.
Good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost
I would like to suggest the Emissary of an occult or conspiritorial power. Green's Nightside books are full of them but Walker is possibly the best example.
I am, embarrassingly, not familiar with Walker's fiction. What is the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Traceur (that is, an exponent of Parkour) and Urban Explorer (someone who's an expert on abandoned buildings, sewers, subway tunnels, and other "off-limits" locations)
Wow. Those are great suggestions. I would never have come up with those two. I can probably grant the Urban Explorer some fun abilities too.

Thanks both!

(And to have the almighty Kromm reply to one of my posts - this is surely a fortuitous prophecy!!)
Old 05-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
Almafeta

Blue Collar Worker Recently Put Out Of A Job Thanks To Magical Automation
Clerical Paramedic
Living Impaired College Student
Lycanthrope Social Worker
Motivational Speaker for the Damned
Owner Of A Coffee Shop That Tends To Serve To A Less Mundane Crowd
Parachronic Immigration & Naturalization Service Agent
Paranormal Lawyer
SWAT (Spells, Weapons and Tactics)
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
aesir23

I'd want to include a sort of Guardian of the Ghetto type. Could be either a mage mystically protecting some underprivileged minority or neighborhood, (like the rabbi in the classic story of the golem) or a martial artist, like the classic do-gooder who runs a boxing gym or dojo to keep kids out of gangs.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almafeta
Blue Collar Worker Recently Put Out Of A Job Thanks To Magical Automation
Or perhaps the Magical Automaton itself!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Wild Bill

Awesome! Thanks for all your help. There are some great NPC ideas here, but I am looking more for PC templates.

Although the NPC templates are rocking my creative energies, so keep them coming.

Thanks to all!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
Awesome! Thanks for all your help. There are some great NPC ideas here, but I am looking more for PC templates.
Can you clarify? What about these suggestions make them more suitable to NPCs?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Wild Bill

Sorry, yes I will clarify.

The setting is Urban Fantasy crossed with Mysteries, so we are talking about police officers, P.I.s, vigilantes (like the Urban Explorer Kromm suggested). It is also contemporary time, so the automaton doesn't quite fit.

A Guardian of the Ghetto, although a great NPC idea, seems, to me at least, to be a little difficult to incorporate into a group of investigators.

Although your rabbi idea makes a great PC.

Actually, come to think of it, I can make these all work... Haha. I apologize for my misguided comment. As I mentioned, I am suffering from brain rot due to the semester ending.

I guess I was trying to get at templates for cooperative investigators who are working, loosely, for a larger organization, c.f. the Dresden Files. The concept is that all the players may be affiliated with a different group, but they are working together on some recent paranormal problems, all beginning with the insane murder of a close (and powerful) wizard friend. All the same, it seems that everyone's suggestions can fit into these parameters.

I really do appreciate all of your comments. And Aesir, you have given me a great idea with your Guardian of a Ghetto concept.

So, yes, please forgive the misguided comment.