Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #151
ColBosch

Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
I see a 3d cardboard radar dish; rules 3.06.

Was there a 3d radar dish? What counter sheet was that?
It's not out yet.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #152
ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Here is the latest, most up-to-date, definitive rule set. This takes the Ogre Designer's Edition rulebook, corrects the errata, and adds all of the new material.

D.
Hi Drew, is the link to the rule book going to be updated on the Ogre Resources page?
http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/resources/
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #153
wolf90

(face palm)

Yep.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #154
pzmcgwire

A couple of things to ponder with all the new additions in ODE.

Now that there are rules for reloading Ogre external missiles, should there be a different notation for fired external missiles vs. destroyed external missiles?

Easy enough to put a house rule in, but should it be explicitly written out in the rulebook?

In a campaign type scenarios, shooting at empty missile tubes might be worth doing to further hamper an enemy Ogre? If so what would be the defense factor for an empty external missile tube?

Secondly with the advent of record sheets for superheavy tanks and other specialized units with 1 shot special firing capabilities and other capabilities (here's looking at you Marine Engineers) , is it time to add unique identifiers (i.e. a number like 101) to counters in a future printing?

How do folks distinguish superheavy tanks and other units now?
pzmcgwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #155
HeatDeath

When I play with Mk 1s, which have the same problem, I tend to go with "the one on the left flank", "the one in the middle" and "the one on the right flank."

Probably not scalable to an entire company though. :)

This is where the numbered counters would come in handy.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #156
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
A couple of things to ponder with all the new additions in ODE.

Now that there are rules for reloading Ogre external missiles, should there be a different notation for fired external missiles vs. destroyed external missiles?

Easy enough to put a house rule in, but should it be explicitly written out in the rulebook?

In a campaign type scenarios, shooting at empty missile tubes might be worth doing to further hamper an enemy Ogre? If so what would be the defense factor for an empty external missile tube?

Secondly with the advent of record sheets for superheavy tanks and other specialized units with 1 shot special firing capabilities and other capabilities (here's looking at you Marine Engineers) , is it time to add unique identifiers (i.e. a number like 101) to counters in a future printing?

How do folks distinguish superheavy tanks and other units now?
Good question! Vulcans have been around for a few years...denoting 'Fired' vs 'Destroyed' has always been left up to the individual groups of players to decide what their standard is rather than writing some sort of official rules. I haven't been put in that position yet [no Vulcans :( ], but would personally put an X or a / (depending on how fine the tip of the marker is) in boxes to denote 'Fired', and filling in the box to denote 'Destroyed'...so that it's easy enough to change the mark from one to the other with no ambiguity over which is which. Another thing that keeps ambiguity down and makes the bookkeeping easier...cross off Fired from left to right, and Destroyed from right to left [unless the opponent specifically targets an empty tube], that way you can tell at a glance how many of each [plus how many intact] there are.

For tracking specific units I was lucky enough to get my hands on the Black Rose counter set from ODE, all of which have a name. In situations where I absolutely have to be able to tell them apart [such as fielding a swarm of superheavies with partial damage rules], I'll use those counters to remove ambiguity.

Since that's not an option for everybody, and if I ever end up in a situation where both sides have a swarm like that...I'd get a bunch of sharpies or highlighters in different colors, and color in the edges of the counters. That way on the partial damage sheets I could write "Red", "Blue", "Green", etc. Also prevents the headaches of having to write on already-tight counters, or the potential that the writing [or daub of paint, or whatever] would wear off over time.

HWTs have a 'fired' status on the reverse. Can't swap them straight-up for a 1/1 infantry counter because of tracking VP of units destroyed, but it's easy enough to put the HWT Fired counter under an Infantry counter to note which one it's moving with.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:38 AM   #157
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
Same either way. The D value is on the launcher, not the missile itself.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #158
Tom H.

(There's nothing like receiving a new supplement, Ogre Mini Set 2, to get you back into a shelved game.)

Rules Question:

Is a unit that is disabled due to terrain destroyed when it receives its first 'D' combat result?
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #159
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
(There's nothing like receiving a new supplement, Ogre Mini Set 2, to get you back into a shelved game.)

Rules Question:

Is a unit that is disabled due to terrain destroyed when it receives its first 'D' combat result?
Per the rules, yes. Note that Ogres aren't disabled by terrain, but can get Stuck; the difference is intentional.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #160
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Per the rules, yes. Note that Ogres aren't disabled by terrain, but can get Stuck; the difference is intentional.
Hey, thanks for the reply.

From my reading, I thought the rules could be a little ambiguous.

Referring to the latest Ogre Battle Box Web Rules:

Page 16 indicates that the destruction occurs "if it receives another D result while disabled." "Another D" could imply the first disable needed to be combat result induced.

Also, the bottom of page 11 reinforces the fact that in general how a unit becomes disabled may matter.

Note: I use my original Designer Edition rules, but noted that the above references did not change between the versions.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote