Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Jadefire

Default Hoarding Clerics

Just wondering what happens if a Cleric and another player need to share treasure from a kill and there's a Hoard! card on top of the treasure discard pile. If the Cleric uses Resurrection on the Hoard! then it gets played immediately.

1) Does the Cleric draw the three cards from the already-revealed treasures or from the top of the treasure deck? What happens with the revealed treasure then (i.e., there will either be not enough or too many remaining for the second player)?

2) If the Cleric gets the first two treasure picks and uses Resurrection on Hoard! for the first pick (causing three cards to be drawn), is the Hoard! card back in the treasure discard pile to be resurrected again as the Cleric's second draw? Or is it that once Hoard! is resurrected those three draws get combined with the Cleric's second treasure pick so there are only four cards drawn and one card discard for Resurrection instead of six cards drawn and two cards discarded for Resurrection?
Jadefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
Brandy

Default Re: Hoarding Clerics

The second part is addressed in the Munchkin FAQ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin FAQ
Q. Can a cleric use Hoard! over and over by discarding it before he starts drawing his three cards, and drawing it again, and discarding it and drawing three more, and so on?
A. No. Discard Hoard! AFTER the three cards are drawn. GREAT try, though! (This is a reason NEVER to have two copies of Hoard! in your deck . . .)
Old 01-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
Jadefire

Thanks for the reply Brandy. I didn't know there was an FAQ for Munchkin. The scenario described in the FAQ looks a little different than the situation I'm asking about. Essentially, what I'm asking regarding kill treasure distribution is whether the person with first pick selects a treasure AND DRAWS IT (resolving all "play immediately" effects) before the person with the second pick does the same, and so on until all the treasure is gone; or if all players RESERVE their pick from the treasure pile and then everyone simultaneously draws those selected cards. This will determine whether or not Hoard! can be resurrected multiple times.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefire View Post
Thanks for the reply Brandy. I didn't know there was an FAQ for Munchkin. The scenario described in the FAQ looks a little different than the situation I'm asking about. Essentially, what I'm asking regarding kill treasure distribution is whether the person with first pick selects a treasure AND DRAWS IT (resolving all "play immediately" effects) before the person with the second pick does the same, and so on until all the treasure is gone; or if all players RESERVE their pick from the treasure pile and then everyone simultaneously draws those selected cards. This will determine whether or not Hoard! can be resurrected multiple times.
These are both from the Munchkin rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
You draw the Treasure cards, even if it was your helper’s special ability that defeated the monster, and distribute them according to the agreement you reached.

Draw face-up, so the whole party can see what you got, if someone helped you.
So, all the treasures are drawn and turned face up, and then the players make selections from those available according to their agreement. When a helper helps, you're not each taking selections from the draw pile.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Brandy is correct. You draw all the Treasure cards first, then apply any immediate effects, like Hoard!, then distribute, whether you are resurrecting cards or not. Hoard! should be discarded once you've drawn all the cards for it, not before.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Jadefire

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks Brandy.

Tags
cleric, hoard, resurrection