Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Finalsora811

Default Eating People

FYI, these disadvantages are all on an alternate form that only happens once a month for 1 night, AT MOST.

Let's also say I have Increased Consumption... 5, for example. How would that work? It says that I must eat X amount of meals per day, but if I'm only in that form for a limited time, how would it translate? Would I double it because I'm only in the form for about half a day or what?
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Eating People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalsora811 View Post
Let's also say I have Increased Consumption... 5, for example. How would that work? It says that I must eat X amount of meals per day, but if I'm only in that form for a limited time, how would it translate? Would I double it because I'm only in the form for about half a day or what?
Increased Consumption 5 is 96 meals a day, so 4 meals per hour on average. If you are in that form for 12 hours you should have to eat at least 48 meals for it to be worth the full -50 points.

This seems kind of silly, and I wouldn't allow it. Even if it only takes you 10 minutes to eat a meal you are spending 67% of your time in that form just eating.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Refplace

Reciprocal rest also on the AF?
I would be mindful of these disads but if taken I would say an OPH still ok and average the time for the increased consumption.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

The title made me think this thread would be Odious Personal/Racial Habit (Eats other Sentients) not Odious Personal/Racial Habit (Gluttony)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Finalsora811

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
The title made me think this thread would be Odious Personal/Racial Habit (Eats other Sentients) not Odious Personal/Racial Habit (Gluttony)
Well, he DOES have Odious Racial Habit (Eats People). That's what made me think of the title.
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This seems kind of silly, and I wouldn't allow it. Even if it only takes you 10 minutes to eat a meal you are spending 67% of your time in that form just eating.
If the goal is a horrible wereform that ambushes the first hominid it sees, kills it (probably taking less than 5 minutes), and then immediately stops everything to stuff its face... giving the heroic adventurers a chance to surround it while its distracted... well, that would do it.

I've certainly seen werewolves like that in fiction. It enforces monstrous behavior if it's being done because it has to, though, which actually restricts its actions significantly. Even if it's intelligent, it has to go straight into a heavily populated area and cut a gory swath of destruction, and it has to pause to stuff itself. It has barely enough time to hit another target at a dead run and then perhaps drag the body into a dark corner or closet, messily devour it, and then burst out and rapidly acquire another victim. It might fight with smart tactics, but short of finding a warehouse of frozen beef or something, there's nothing much smart it can do strategically.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
If the goal is a horrible wereform that ambushes the first hominid it sees, kills it (probably taking less than 5 minutes), and then immediately stops everything to stuff its face... giving the heroic adventurers a chance to surround it while its distracted... well, that would do it.
Well, I'm assuming it's for a PC. It's fine for a monster.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Anthony

Is there an advantage or perk to permit eating faster? Or to permit eating fewer, larger meals? A human should be on the order of 100,000 calories total food content (some is hard to get at), so that's a reasonable approximation of 'eat one person per night'.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Is there an advantage or perk to permit eating faster?
According to Basic 155 it takes 1/2 hour for "most humans" to eat a meal. AFAIK there's no "Fast Eater" equivalent to Slow Eater. I picked 10 minutes as a reasonable fast eating speed.
Quote:
Or to permit eating fewer, larger meals?
I'm pretty sure that you can organize the meals however you want as long as you eat them.
Quote:
A human should be on the order of 100,000 calories total food content (some is hard to get at), so that's a reasonable approximation of 'eat one person per night'.
How long does it take to eat a whole person? It's going to be pretty time consuming...

Last edited by sir_pudding; 04-26-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
How long does it take to eat a whole person? It's going to be pretty time consuming...
Depends. If you eat like a human, a long time, but a large snake can swallow prey comparable to its own mass rather quickly (digestion takes a while), and I can think of a bunch of monstrous powers which would have similar effects.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, alternate form, increased consumption