Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Mercutio Montecchi

Default Advantages as items

Hi! I'm about to start a new campaign in which characters start as ordinary humans, who can use some special powers by holding/using/equipping specific items.
For example, I might want to make a crown which grants lifting and striking strength +10, or an amulet which grands the Innate Attack advantage, dealing 1d damage as a ranged attack, or a ring that grants the Healing advantage.

How do you handle that using GURPS rules? How do you calculate their point cost? (I assume an advantage made available by an item would cost much elss, since the item can be broken/stolen, or it might have to be worn). Also, are there any limitations/enhancements to make such items usable by only a single individual in the whole universe?

Thanks for your help. If it's required, I can give more specific details about the setting and the kind of campaign I plan to run.
Mercutio Montecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
copeab

Default Re: Advantages as items

This was fairly easy to do in 3e, so I doubt it's hard in 4e.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
zoncxs

make them as characters I say, then take the item's stats and done, this is not something Players have to do so you can skip a lot.

that crown? it looks ordinary, maybe even has twice the normal DR for a crown of its size. but it gives +10 striking and lifting. thats all thats needed. if you want cost, use either inventing new gadgets (forgot what page in basic) or enchantments to get a rough cost of the item and tweak till your happy :D
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Langy

What you're looking for are the Gadget limitations on page 116 of Characters. You can do everything you asked for with them, including making it so nobody else can use them (via the 'can be stolen' limitation, halved in value so that the gadget won't immediately work for the thief).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Mercutio Montecchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
What you're looking for are the Gadget limitations on page 116 of Characters. You can do everything you asked for with them, including making it so nobody else can use them (via the 'can be stolen' limitation, halved in value so that the gadget won't immediately work for the thief).
Thanks! That's what I was looking for!
Now, where can I find some rough indications on the average size modifiers and DR or most common items?
Mercutio Montecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Stripe

I haven't re-downloaded it yet, but I think LTC2 has HP/DR of, like, all weapons and DF8 has a bunch of items with weights and such, too. Plus, there are suggestions in the back of Campaigns for HP/DR of objects, IIRC. Just don't have my books with me.

In my fantasy games, items, weapons, armor, equipment, jewelery, clothes, etc., often give Advantages with Gadget Limitations. For instance, a Holy Avenger-type sword might give an Innate Attack (cone of fire), among others. I'll even mix this with the standard Magic enchantments.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman

Last edited by Stripe; 07-07-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio Montecchi View Post
Hi!
Hey.

Quote:
I'm about to start a new campaign in which characters start as ordinary humans, who can use some special powers by holding/using/equipping specific items.
For example, I might want to make a crown which grants lifting and striking strength +10, or an amulet which grands the Innate Attack advantage, dealing 1d damage as a ranged attack, or a ring that grants the Healing advantage.
Slightly off-topic, but let me ask you this: You and your allies (rivals?) have each been granted a Device Of Magical Power! Correct me if I'm wrong, but the caps and italics are supposed to feel justified: "Judy here has the strength of four athletic humans! Bob can fix life-threatening injuries in seconds! And Larry here... well, we don't talk about what Larry can do, unless we want him following us around and plinking his little 1d potato gun off our armor all day..."

If I was the player who got the ranged attack that does less than a bow and arrow, I'd feel a little left out of the fantasy excitement compared to the other guys. Why not give him a huge Innate Attack that can only be used once a day or something like that? Now it's a strategic choice whether or not to use it, rather than just, "Okay, Larry will distract them with his spitballs again while we mount the real attack from here..."
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
trooper6

Quote:
Now, where can I find some rough indications on the average size modifiers and DR or most common items?
For DR of most common objects, see B557-558.
For SM, see the Size and Speed/Range Table on B550
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
lexington

Quote:
IMO, making them breakable sounds like a better idea than it really is.

An extensive list of SM information is on B550, the simple version is on B19.

Humans are SM+0
Cars are about SM+4
Apples are between SM-6 and SM-5
Basketballs are SM-2
A pen or pencil is SM-6
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Langy

The SM modifiers for weapons are the ones used in combat to hit them. See the 'targeting weapons' bit somewhere in Campaigns. A sword is SM-3 or -4, I believe.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, artifacts, gadgets, items