Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
nerdvana

Default Affects Others Modifier?

I can't find an Affects Others Modifier. I'm sure I'm overlooking it. I'm wanting to take a trait that normally only affects the character possessing it, and having it affect others. I could, I guess, make it a benefitial affliction, but I'm looking at just having it be able to affect others directly.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
cccwebs

Default Re: Affects Others Modifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I can't find an Affects Others Modifier. I'm sure I'm overlooking it. I'm wanting to take a trait that normally only affects the character possessing it, and having it affect others. I could, I guess, make it a benefitial affliction, but I'm looking at just having it be able to affect others directly.
Check in Powers. It's a +50% per additional person you can affect.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
Check in Powers. It's a +50% per additional person you can affect.
(p107 of GURPS Powers, specifically) Thanks, cccwebs. Follow up question (for you or anyone else), how about if the advantage isn't going to apply to yourself? I'm revisitng an idea from an old thread (specifically post #14 by LemmingLord). So I'm applying Affects Others and Area Affect to a Language that the character already speaks. The reason the character will need to buy both is due to the Telepathic (-10%) limiter on the ability (among others).
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
(p107 of GURPS Powers, specifically) Thanks, cccwebs. Follow up question (for you or anyone else), how about if the advantage isn't going to apply to yourself? I'm revisitng an idea from an old thread (specifically post #14 by LemmingLord). So I'm applying Affects Others and Area Affect to a Language that the character already speaks. The reason the character will need to buy both is due to the Telepathic (-10%) limiter on the ability (among others).
If this is just a communication thing, use Telesend (Universal, +50%) and Mind Reading (Universal, +50%). You could even add in Sense-Based:Hearing, -20% to both if they act like "universal translators" (ie, others "hear" what the character is saying in thier own language and the character "hears" what the others are saying in his own language).
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, modifiers, q&a