Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Flight/Walk on Air while sleeping?

Can either of these Advantages be used while sleeping? That is to say, can a person set their Flight to "hover" or "autopilot" while sleeping, or can those that Walk on Air choose to "sleep on air"?

If not, what would one need to enable this?
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
SuedodeuS

Default Re: Flight/Walk on Air while sleeping?

Flight, at least, is something that requires some expenditure of energy (you don't count as "resting" while flying) and probably some mental exertion. Being able to hover while resting (conscious or otherwise) would probably be worth +10% or so, while being able to fly (that is, travel) while resting would be more expensive, maybe +50% or so. With either version, being unable to enter REM sleep without it shutting off would be a -5% Nuisance Effect.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Ragitsu
Banned

Unless it's Gadget based ;-).

But in any case, that wasn't the kind of Flight/Walk on Air I had in mind.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Celti

For my Air-Infused in a DF campaign, the GM allowed me to sleep in mid-air with Walk on Air — it actually became an important plot point, because who thinks to look up when you're ambushing a sleeping camp?
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Ejidoth

Honestly, this is the kind of thing I'd allow one of my players to take as a perk.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
Flight, at least, is something that requires some expenditure of energy (you don't count as "resting" while flying) and probably some mental exertion.
Please cite, I remember NOTHING like that listed in the advantage. It uses no more exertion than DR.

Personally if they can or can't comes down sole on how they describe how their power works. Baring thins like 'cost fatigue'
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Please cite, I remember NOTHING like that listed in the advantage. It uses no more exertion than DR.

Personally if they can or can't comes down sole on how they describe how their power works. Baring thins like 'cost fatigue'
It's not listed in the Advantage entry, but in Campaigns, p.354, there's a box that indicates that flying functions the same way as hiking/running, which do cost fatigue. p.427 notes that simply walking around is strenuous enough to count the character as not resting - certainly flying would be more strenuous than walking around!
Also note that Advantages like Innate Attack, Affliction, etc don't make mention of any built-in fatigue cost, but you'd be hard pressed to convince a GM that a combat that you only used Innate Attacks in doesn't sap you of FP (I'm referring, of course, to the end-battle fatigue cost of combats that last 10+ seconds).

If you can't rest while flying (or hovering), you shouldn't be able to sleep while doing so either. Any GM is free to decide that hovering requires little enough effort to count as rest (and thus allow sleep), but personally I think this goes beyond what the Advantage is meant to do and thus should require an Enhancement.

EDIT: Of course, I think Ragitsu is referring to the spells, rather than the Advantages. In that case, I guess it just depends on how magic functions in the campaign...

Last edited by SuedodeuS; 07-15-2009 at 05:02 PM.
SuedodeuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Ragitsu
Banned

I am, in fact, referring to the Advantages. I even noted this in the Tags field.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
I am, in fact, referring to the Advantages. I even noted this in the Tags field.
I guess I got confused when you wrote "But in any case, that wasn't the kind of Flight/Walk on Air I had in mind." The only thing I could think of was "Oh, he must be referring to the spells." So... what did you have in mind, then? I suddenly find myself lost.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Ragitsu
Banned

Gadget based Flight/Walk on Air (which conceivably uses energy other than the user's).

Tags
advantages