Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
tg_ambro

Default Leech and Born Biter

I'm building a vampire and giving him a leech attack (his vampiric bite) and the Born Biter perk from DF. This will allow him to make a bite attack and then hold onto the neck, like a grapple, draining blood, my question is if he'll be able to do damage from his bite and also leech, or will he have to choose one or the other?

In general, can someone deal damage with a grapple and use their leech ability?
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Leech and Born Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
I'm building a vampire and giving him a leech attack (his vampiric bite) and the Born Biter perk from DF. This will allow him to make a bite attack and then hold onto the neck, like a grapple, draining blood, my question is if he'll be able to do damage from his bite and also leech, or will he have to choose one or the other?

In general, can someone deal damage with a grapple and use their leech ability?
Depends. A Biting Grapple + Worry is a series of Attack maneuvers, only the first of which requires a hit roll, so using it at the same time as something else would require something like Extra Attack, Compartmentalized Mind, or Altered Time Rate depending on the specifics unless the other half of the combo is a free action (which can be damage-inflicting in some cases, such as the follow-up to a successful Arm Lock or Eye Gouge).

How are you picturing this, aesthetically? Does the vampire's mouth stretch out like a snake's? The body of relevant legends is of course quite diverse, but generally speaking they're usually depicted performing a grapple with their hands before biting when they feed violently at all...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
tg_ambro

I'm going for a "vampires have really overdeveloped jaw muscles" feel. The vampire still has a normal seeming human jaw, it's just much stronger.
I believe I got this idea from one of the Blade movies, seeing how most vampire templates place them at having at least 15+ ST, I don't think I'm stretching it to much by thinking that they could hang onto someone with their fanged mouths.

The form of leech I'm using for the vampire has Blood Agent, to represent his having to bite his victim first, it doesn't have to be the classic sensual neck bite, he just has to bite somewhere.
Having reread the rules, it seems you have to grapple and then Leech instead of say wrenching a limb, or snapping a neck, so it seems logical to assume that after biting with born biter (giving a free grapple) my vampire can move right into leeching the next turn, instead of have to follow a Grapple+Bite+Leech pattern.

Last edited by tg_ambro; 06-01-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
I'm going for a "vampires have really overdeveloped jaw muscles" feel. The vampire still has a normal seeming human jaw, it's just much stronger.
I'd make the mouth a limited Extra Arm if that's the effect you want. Born Biter implies size, because it allows your mouth to fit around larger hit locations and gives a bonus for others to hit you there. A normal-sized jaw that is just more powerful would do extra damage, but probably rip through a fold of flesh small enough to fit into it rather than retain a grip IMHO.

Quote:
I believe I got this idea from one of the Blade movies, seeing how most vampire templates place them at having at least 15+ ST, I don't think I'm stretching it to much by thinking that they could hang onto someone with their fanged mouths.
You mean the second movie in the series, which featured the freakish vampire variant with a mouth that unfolds and stretches out to be huge? Most other vampires in Blade grapple with their hands before biting.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I'd make the mouth a limited Extra Arm if that's the effect you want. Born Biter implies size, because it allows your mouth to fit around larger hit locations and gives a bonus for others to hit you there. A normal-sized jaw that is just more powerful would do extra damage, but probably rip through a fold of flesh small enough to fit into it rather than retain a grip IMHO.
Yeah, I agree, I'm going to change this guy's bite. I'm going to give him some levels of Striking ST for his mouth, give him some grappling that make Royce Gracie look like a wimp and ditch Born Biter. Thinking about this attack a little further, it went too far from the traditional vampire a little to much, and that's now what I wanted, but now I want to make vampire dogs with born biter. Ha Ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
You mean the second movie in the series, which featured the freakish vampire variant with a mouth that unfolds and stretches out to be huge? Most other vampires in Blade grapple with their hands before biting.
Yeah, that's the one, thank you. That one was pretty badass.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
[snip] I'm going to give him some levels of Striking ST for his mouth, give him some grappling that make Royce Gracie look like a wimp [snip]
I used Kachin Bando for a vampire martial artist's style of choice in another thread once and liked it a lot. Karate with Biting Mastery + Wrestling with Power Grappling = 100% Win for most vampire template builds.

Quote:
Yeah, that's the one, thank you. That one was pretty badass.
It's like the second and third Star Wars prequels for me: The overall effect kind of rubs me the wrong way, but there are so many individual, barely-related awesome ideas and visuals present that I forget while it's on.

Tags
advantages, leech, perks