Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2015, 05:54 AM   #1
Wavefunction

Default 25-Point Powers to Define a Character

Hi all,

I've recently been rifling through GURPS Psis with it's nicely put together 25, 50, and 100 points packages of psychic powers, and it got me thinking, why not do something similar with non-psi.

Cheap supers are often pretty hard to make, how do you make the power central to the character, without making it too expensive. For example, a brick with 25 points in powers might have ST+2 and DR 1, that's not too exciting. It's not unreasonable, just not particularly interesting or character-defining.

So I thought it might be interesting to start a compilation of some truly character-defining, but cheap powers. Powers should be built on 25 points or less, but you get bonus marks for satisfying pentaphilia, and double bonus points for making it exactly 25 points.

Here's a couple of abilities for cheap bricks. I'm using a generic -10% Power Modifier throughout, to make them easy to repurpose.

Kinetic Redirection [25]
You can absorb kinetic energy, and use it to increase your own strength. Doing so is dangerous however, every time you absorb kinetic energy you must roll vs. HT or fall Unconscious, on a failure by 5, or a critical failure, you suffer a Heart Attack. Gained ST is unsupported by your skeleton, and inflicts huge stresses on you body. However, you don't have to have this ability active all the time, activation requires a Ready manoeuvre. Note that this uses PK's house rules for Absorption found here. A version using standard GURPS rules for absorption would be far less impressive, and frankly pointless.

Damage Resistance 10 (Absorption 12, One Trait: Modified ST*, +60%; Extended Duration x10, +40%; Limited, Physical Attacks, -20%; PM, -10%; Resistible Backlash, Secondary Heart Attack, -30%; Resistible Backlash, Unconsciousness, -100%; Switchable, +10%) [25]

*Modified ST is ST! (Cardiac Stress†, Every 10 seconds, -40%; PM‡, -10%; Unsupported Strength†, -25%) [2/level]

†From GURPS Bio-Tech
‡I'm not sure if PM is valid here, it depends if counteracting the DR will directly effect the ST.

Unbreakable Skin [25]
Your skin cannot be broken. That doesn't translate to invincibility, it simply means that Impaling, Cutting and Piercing attacks won't penetrate it. They'll effectively become Crushing. The inherent elasticity of your skin, combined with it's unbreakable nature, is sufficient to grant 1 DR.

Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3]
Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 1.5; Limited, Cutting, Impaling, Large Piercing, and Huge Piercing, -30%; PM, -10%) [15]
Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 2; Limited, Impaling and Huge Piercing, -35%; PM, -10%) [14]*
Injury Tolerance (No Blood; Only to prevent bleeding†, -30%; PM, -10%) [3]
Injury Tolerance (No Vitals; Doesn't effect Shock/Knockdown‡, -30%; PM, -10%) [3]
Injury Tolerance (Unbreakable Bones; Only to prevent dismemberment, -40%; PM, -10%) [5]
Vulnerable x2 (Small Piercing; PM, -10%) [-18]

*Bought up from Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 1.5)
†Doesn't effect things like blood chokes, inhaled blood agents, etc.
‡Only applies if using the rules to allow crushing attacks to target the vitals found in GURPS Martial Arts

Now it's your turn. :)
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote