Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #81
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: "Can't wear Armor" for other abilities - Advantages replicable by technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Yeah, it's obvious you don't actually play Supers, ErhnamDJ.

And, it's obvious that you like Strawmen.
Hence why I am not an empiricist.

Quote:
The one-trick pony you describe is usually outlawed by most GMs.
Another example of why I'm not an empiricist: there's no way to know when you've gathered enough data to come to a conclusion, and then you end up making statements that are incorrect.

Quote:
Oh, and, here's how you defend against all of that:
Will 16
Immunity to Mind Control
Immunity to Afflictions (probably with Reflexive, or switchable at the very least)
Unfazeable
Talk about things no GM would allow...

I can't imagine anyone getting away with Immunity to Afflictions.

Whereas the Mesmerist template in Supers has both Mind Control and a paralyzing Affliction. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to add more offensive abilities to that.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 AM   #82
Michael Thayne

Default Re: "Can't wear Armor" for other abilities - Advantages replicable by technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Yeah, it's obvious you don't actually play Supers, ErhnamDJ.
@ErhnamDJ,

While I hesitate to play the "to be fair" card WRT an abusive comment like, to be fair to Mark Skarr, it seems like many of the supers games you play are not typical supers games. I think GURPS supers assumes a fair amount of enforcing of genre conventions, or at minimum some anti-munchkin enforcement (something explicitly mentioned in Power-Ups 4.) Now you can throw that out the window, as I made a conscious decision to do in my PbP game, but it's worth acknowledging the different assumptions that can be in play here.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #83
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
@ErhnamDJ,

While I hesitate to play the "to be fair" card WRT an abusive comment like, to be fair to Mark Skarr, it seems like many of the supers games you play are not typical supers games. I think GURPS supers assumes a fair amount of enforcing of genre conventions, or at minimum some anti-munchkin enforcement (something explicitly mentioned in Power-Ups 4.)
Right. And I was assuming those when I limited my example psychic to genre appropriate abilities. The thing is, though, that other people aren't assuming those same genre restrictions and are assuming the presence of stuff like Immunity to Afflictions.

Even in your game where the rule was pretty much anything goes, I still wouldn't have even considered taking that ability.

I think another issue is that the superhero stuff I'm more familiar with is from a time when the genre conventions weren't the same as what other people think of. I think of the nigh-invincible Superman who could cross the entire universe in a few minutes, and who could time travel, and who could push entire planets around, and that kind of thing. That guy fits perfectly well within my understanding of what a superhero is, and what's appropriate to genre conventions.

Wikipedia says The Hulk is able to withstand nuclear explosions and that "The Hulk is also able to generate omnidirectional bursts of kinetic energy that completely destroy the planet he is standing on."

That's why I have so much trouble with DR being so incredibly expensive. When I think of someone having a high amount of DR, I think of them being able to casually survive punches from that guy who can rip planets asunder.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, equipment, gadget limitation, point cost