Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Finalsora811

Default Great Wish advantages

On the spell Great Wish, it says you can get any advantage worth up to 20 points. Does that mean its base cost has to be up to 20 or can I get a more expensive advantage and put limitations on it for it to come out to 20 points? For example, if I wanted a Luck advantage, can I only get Regular luck or could I get Extraordinary Luck if I make it aspected? I hope that makes sense.
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
thulben

Default Re: Great Wish advantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalsora811 View Post
On the spell Great Wish, it says you can get any advantage worth up to 20 points. Does that mean its base cost has to be up to 20 or can I get a more expensive advantage and put limitations on it for it to come out to 20 points? For example, if I wanted a Luck advantage, can I only get Regular luck or could I get Extraordinary Luck if I make it aspected? I hope that makes sense.
I would take it as the latter.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
malloyd

I'd go with final cost, though it is true that the rule was written well before Limitations existed in GURPS.

The enchanter should of course scream in horror as you waste a Great Wish on this, in the six years of full time labor it took him to construct the item, he could easily have picked up 60 or 80 points worth of training instead. Though I guess it was better than wasting it on duplicating a single spell.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Anaraxes

Well, at least if you have a portable Wish, you can pick up an advantage on the spot, whereas with the 60 points of training you'd have to know what you'd need in advance. Think of it as somewhat like Modular Ability overhead.

(What's the cost for a configure-once slot? And do you discount the ModAb point pool? What if you can drain the points out of the ability after it's configured, or restore them; you can turn on and off the slot without changing it once it's been set.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Maybe some advantages can only be acquired through such heavy near god level magic.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Maybe some advantages can only be acquired through such heavy near god level magic.
That's how I did it in my last campaign. The spell wasn't widely available, difficult to cast, and certain advantages were either inborn or could only be added by godly powers or Great Wish.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
starslayer

Yea granting an advantage via great wish would be a great candidate for 'Magery only goes to x (normally 3 or 4) in this campaign world normally, but great wishes can exceed that'- and would be something that wizards would be perusing with great wish if this was the case.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, great wish