Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
vierasmarius

Default Re: A few questions

With Alternate Form, you pay 90% for the most expensive form, plus 15 points for each form (excluding the "natural" form). If there are limitations or enhancements on the ability to change form, that's applied just to the 15 points per form. Comparing costs of AF and Alternate Abilities, for values up to 75 cp it's cheaper to have 4xAA (75+15*3) rather than 4xAF (75*0.9+15*4). Additionally, Alternate Form requires a 10-second switch, compared to the 1-second Ready to swap Alternate Abilities.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
With Alternate Form, you pay 90% for the most expensive form, plus 15 points for each form (excluding the "natural" form). If there are limitations or enhancements on the ability to change form, that's applied just to the 15 points per form. Comparing costs of AF and Alternate Abilities, for values up to 75 cp it's cheaper to have 4xAA (75+15*3) rather than 4xAF (75*0.9+15*4). Additionally, Alternate Form requires a 10-second switch, compared to the 1-second Ready to swap Alternate Abilities.
Yeah, if it is just Invisibility, or +x Striking ST, or +x DR, or +x Basic Speed, then I think AAs are the way to go.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Aigol

And for alternate form it only counts the racial template of the base correct? so if you are a normal human no matter what CP you start at it counts as 0 right?

Also can you improve your alternate forms? I can see it would be easy if the highest one goes up by 10 points then the total CP you need to add to alternate form is 9, What about the less expensive forms would they have no limit to how much they can be improved as long as they don't go over or equal the Highest forms CP cost?
Aigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aigol View Post
And for alternate form it only counts the racial template of the base correct? so if you are a normal human no matter what CP you start at it counts as 0 right?
Basically, yes.
Quote:
Also can you improve your alternate forms? I can see it would be easy if the highest one goes up by 10 points then the total CP you need to add to alternate form is 9, What about the less expensive forms would they have no limit to how much they can be improved as long as they don't go over or equal the Highest forms CP cost?
That's really a matter for your GM. Point cost wise, yes, you're doing the math right. On the other hand, a GM might be disinclined to let you add the ability to shoot energy blasts to your bunny alternate form.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
Aigol

And anything that isn't a racial trait that you have is carried over to your alternate forms?

If you buy an energy blast innate attack would it carry over to your bunny form if its not a racial thing?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #16
Aigol

And I think last question I will have for a while. IS there much in the way of guidlines for scaling equipment/ weapons to be appropriate for larger creatures.

If some SM + 3 creature is wielding a sword or firearm sized for it how would you fidure damage that it could deal?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #17
vierasmarius

Quote:
And I think last question I will have for a while. IS there much in the way of guidlines for scaling equipment/ weapons to be appropriate for larger creatures.

If some SM + 3 creature is wielding a sword or firearm sized for it how would you fidure damage that it could deal?
For armor and melee weapons, see Low Tech Companion 2, pg 20-21. Firearms aren't so easy to scale; my recommendation would be to select an existing weapon with appropriate ST requirement. A SM+3 giant, for instance, could easily handle a ST 30+ heavy machinegun or light cannon. It would need to be fitted with scaled-up trigger and stock. Not sure if there are rules for that, but I'd eyeball it at about +20% weight.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
And anything that isn't a racial trait that you have is carried over to your alternate forms?

If you buy an energy blast innate attack would it carry over to your bunny form if its not a racial thing?
Yes, though if everyone agrees it's not part of the "form" then you don't get the 10% discount on it.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
Aigol

I was recently was thinking and had a combat question. Can you use active defenses for people near you?

The specific case I had in mind was if you could parry or block attacks targeted at your mount while you are riding
Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #20
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
I was recently was thinking and had a combat question. Can you use active defenses for people near you?

The specific case I had in mind was if you could parry or block attacks targeted at your mount while you are riding
Yes they are called 'Sacrificial Parry' 'Sacrificial Dodge' and 'Sacrificial Block' but i forget where they are detailed.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, powers