Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #21
malloyd

Default Re: what if another role playing game had DnDs cultural Impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Larson View Post
Right now table-top role playing is a small niche hobby. It was a pretty big thing back in the 80s with D&D, but it has shrunk dramatically since then.
I don't think that's true. Sales are of course somewhat tied to the economy, so they may be down some from their peak, but that probably would have been in the 00s. And it's always been a niche hobby. Estimates for the total number of people to have *ever* bought or played a table-top RPG tend to be around 25 million. That would be excellent for a single computer game (successful titles tend to sell 8-10 million copies, though Minecraft still might have it beat) or MMORPG (World of Warcraft peaked at about 12 million paying customers) but for 40 years worth....
Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #22
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I don't think that's true. Sales are of course somewhat tied to the economy, so they may be down some from their peak, but that probably would have been in the 00s. And it's always been a niche hobby. Estimates for the total number of people to have *ever* bought or played a table-top RPG tend to be around 25 million. That would be excellent for a single computer game (successful titles tend to sell 8-10 million copies, though Minecraft still might have it beat) or MMORPG (World of Warcraft peaked at about 12 million paying customers) but for 40 years worth....
Haven't computer games reached the point where their sales dominate all other entertainment media, not just books (a niche market for a long time) but movies and video?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #23
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Haven't computer games reached the point where their sales dominate all other entertainment media, not just books (a niche market for a long time) but movies and video?
according to these stats by NPR, No.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2013/12/10/247521444/do-americans-spend-more-on-video-games-or-movies

But they're in the same order of magnitude, and we spend more buying video games either box office sales or aftermarket sales.

The data isn't as easy to find on statistica, but it gives similar figures:

video Games
Books

I couldn't find a combined film statistics, but the numbers generally show that money comes in to all three at about the same rate, and if anything, more is SPENT on books.

These are also all revenue, not profit. For all I know publishing has a very narrow profit margin.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #24
dcarson

Wonder how book sales break down between recreational reading and school books. I imagine that documentaries and educational films are a tiny fraction of the film industry while text books seem like they are a good chunk of the book market.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #25
ak_aramis

Quote:
Right now table-top role playing is a small niche hobby. It was a pretty big thing back in the 80s with D&D, but it has shrunk dramatically since then. It also had some lasting cultural influence through its effect on computer RPGs; WoW owes D&D a hefty debt.
there was no glut of players in the 80's. The ratio players:population seems to have stayed the same, but are now divided amongst many more games. Thus players per game system are down (as there are now over 4000 RPGs that have been released, and half a dozen or more per month get released).
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:31 AM   #26
lachimba

Quote:
What is the most popular non-dungeoneering tabletop role-playing game? Vampire: the Masquerade?
Call of Cthulhu

Could easily have been the alternative.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate universe, rpg, what if?